PDA

View Full Version : What action do I need?

mugsie
08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd like to build a 6mm BR rifle, what action do your recommend? What caliber does it need to fit? 243? What caliber action is interchangable with what other calibers?

Thanks for the help (hope these questions don't seem to stupid)

ellobo
08-24-2010, 08:48 PM
The only stupid question is the one not asked. You need a short action which will handle all calibers the length of a .308 and related cartridges in length. Welcome to the site. Ask any question and dozens of guys will set you on the path of enlightenment.
El Lobo

82boy
08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I'd like to build a 6mm BR rifle, what action do your recommend? What caliber does it need to fit? 243? What caliber action is interchangable with what other calibers?

To start Savage only has two actions a short and an long, everything else is based off of that. It is up to you to figure out what you want right handed left handed, blued, parkerized, or stainless. One of the best features with a Savage is the ability to change out the bolt heads, which give you the option to change calibers.

A short action would be a good idea, but it is not the only option, a long action will work just as well. A long action with a 30/06 bolt had will do the trick, and don't thing it give up anything as far as accuracy to the short action because it doesn't.

If you want it to feed out the magazine you will want to find a newer (2006 on up) center feed short action. They make a special magazine box for the BR. The older stagard feed guns can be tweaked to work but it takes some time, and effort to get it right. The long action would be a bad choice to magazine feed, do to the modifications it would need to work.

If you want a nice varmint/bench gun, I highly recommend a dual port target action, or a right bolt left port target action.

mugsie
08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
So if I understand this right - bolts can be changed out within an action to fit any caliber, provided it's either short or long action compatable? It's as simple as changing out the bolt, re-headspacing the new compatable barrel to the new bolt and I'm good to go? Is it that easy? Hell, if it is I can envision several bolts, compatable barrels and just set the headspace and I've got a whole new system! Can't be that easy.

bobcat30
08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
82 boy was refering to the bolt head to be changed out, no need to change the whole bolt except for obvious reasons sa to la. And yes it is that easy! Thats why savage is so appealing to many people. Spend 12 bucks and get yourself a membership here and there is access to the classifieds and tons and tons of knowledge. Best 12 bucks i ever spent!

shovelheadave
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Spend 12 bucks and get yourself a membership here and there is access to the classifieds and tons and tons of knowledge. Best 12 bucks i ever spent!

Agreed !!! That's darn good advice.

AVanGorder
08-26-2010, 09:14 AM

I built my 30BR on a Savage Short Action that started life as a 243.

Adrian