PDA

View Full Version : Head spacing????

Pages : 1 [2]

RC20
04-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Interesting points on both sides.,

You can adjust with a bit of playing but it would be playing and not know until the first rounds shot in the new chamber and the shoulder measurements taken.

I will probably continue as planned but good points.

With a go or no go gauge you could find the chamber length on the K31 with taping (its going to be close to field reject) and then transfer that to the new gun.

Iowa Fox
04-24-2017, 01:40 PM
RC20 , Jim Briggs from NSS ( original owner) once told me if you are going to use a fired case for head spacing to fill it with epoxy and let it harden so there is no give in the case when tightening down on the shoulder.

I always wondered about using one of the threaded cases from Hornady since I have them any way. Every single one I own measures spot on. So far I always purchased head space gages from Midway for my birthday sale price or a pair of good used ones. If I do put something new together you can bet I've been thinking about for a year or more so plenty of time to line things up. Last barrel I got from Jim Briggs I had the head space gages long before I gave him the barrel order.

801-tactical
05-05-2017, 01:49 AM
What he said.

Deadshot2
05-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Out of curiosity, how many remove the ejector on their bolt when setting headspace? I'm new to Savage rifles but with Remingtons I always used a stripped bolt to eliminate the spring pressure from the ejector. Also did this when adjusting sizing dies, adjusting die so a chambered case would JUST let the bolt close with light finger pressure. I used the rifle as my "Check Gauge"

RC20
05-05-2017, 10:52 AM
I don't, my brother does (he just did his first one)

While he does work on Mil surplus, I have done the checks on those as well and both the Model of 1917 and the K31 match each other in that they have a long shoulder. i.e. out almost to complete field reject.

While I know that excess head space can be a major issue with repeat firings, once the case if formed, if you do the minimum setback that stops that issue.

The other aspect is if you set it too far out the cartridge will not fire.

Too tight and you can't close the bolt.

If was going to do it then I would probably get a stripped bolt, taking the head and the ejector and extractor in and out would get tedious quickly.

Savage is safer with a fully enclosed bolt head as well (not that we use a safety as an operaitn control of coure)

RC20
05-09-2017, 04:08 PM
I tend to have those little things go places I don't want them to, ergo best avoided so a grown man does not start crying.

The empty case could have a different dynamic than a solid slug of metal per the head space gage.