PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 VLP 223

DLALLDER
04-04-2017, 10:44 PM
The wife bought me a model 12 VLP for a Christmas present. Gun has 1 in 7 twist so I started trying some 77 and 80 gr nosler cc,s. They shoot great but must be loaded manually into the chamber. The magazine will not kick them into the chamber. They strike back of barrel, center but too low to enter chamber. These rds are longer than saami specs but are NOT too long for magazine nor are they too long for chamber. They shoot fantastic with mv about 2825. What needs to be done to get the mag to kick the round into the chamber? Never seen this problem before. Thanks Daniel hi

JW
04-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Does it do what your describing with a full mag as well as with just one round in mag?
Make sure the rounds are pushed all the way to back of the mag.
It might need to have the mag lips opened up a tiny bit at the front of the mag to allow the round to enter the chamber
A little bending does a lot so go easy on the opening up of the mag lips if that is the route you take
Jack

DLALLDER
04-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Jack, it does it any way it is loaded with the longer rounds. Can you explain what you mean by "mag lips"? Are you referring to the flaired portion at the front of the mag? Btw this is my first Savage rifle and probably my last considering the customer service I have gotten about this problem.

boostless
04-05-2017, 04:57 PM
The lips are at the top of the mag where the round rests until it is pushed forward to come out and be chambered

JW
04-06-2017, 07:31 AM
Jack, it does it any way it is loaded with the longer rounds. Can you explain what you mean by "mag lips"? Are you referring to the flaired portion at the front of the mag? Btw this is my first Savage rifle and probably my last considering the customer service I have gotten about this problem.

Yes that is what I was describing
after reading your post again- since it loads the lighter bullets, you might need to squeeze the back of the mag lips in a little to keep the back of round in position a little longer
If you slowly bolt a round you can watch and see how the rounds moves in the mag and get an idea of what is happening with the round as it moves forward
Also try a faster "bolting speed" to see if it will chamber--don't give that heavy bullet time to fall before it reaches the chamber

Sorry you are having trouble with customer service--they have done me well with the few issues I have had in the past
You have a great model savage and you will get it worked out

I can't say I have had the problem you have as my heavy rds are loaded one at time due to length so I am just giving you suggestions to try that might get ya going
Jack

DLALLDER
04-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Jack, I sent you a pm, if you don't get it please let me know. Thanks Daniel

JW
04-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Jack, I sent you a pm, if you don't get it please let me know. Thanks Daniel
Sorry my inbox was full
I cleared it out so try again with the pm
Jack

DLALLDER
04-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Jack, I have grown tired of dealing with the mag problem and will load the cartridges to saami specs. Sub standard accuracy compared to what the gun can do with the 77 gr. and will be a single shot with the 80 gr.. oh well live and learn.

JW
04-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Sorry you did not get it going the way you wanted
On another note: single shot is all I do but I only shoot from the bench and is the way I prefer to load anyway
I understand your frustration if you are planning on using the heavy rounds in a multiple round situation.

Have fun with your rifle, it is still a great model
Jack