PDA

View Full Version : Accustock and Choate Tactical question

Dantheman
04-04-2017, 11:45 AM
I have a 11vt 308 that has not grouped as I expected. I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. I have considered swapping for an accustock or the Choate Tactical. Used accustocks seem to be going around $100 and then I will have to buy the barrel wrench, recoil lug, and go no-go gauges. The stocks will cost about the same with tools considered. My question is for those with experience with both of these stocks. Are they about the same quality or is or better than the other in terms of accuracy? I appreciate any info. Thanks

mousemotors
04-04-2017, 02:01 PM
First question, what stock do you currently have?
Can you pass a dollar bill in between the barrel and the stock from the front to the barrel nut? If not the stock is coming in contact with the barrel probably causing an issue?
How did you check for consistency? Shooting off a bag front and back, bi pod and bag, free handed? Resting the barrel on a bag vs on the fore arm stock?
Are all action screws tight? All scope mount screws tight? Have you used the scope that you have on this gun on another gun where it grouped better?
Hand loaded ammo vs of the shelf? If off of the shelf did you only try one type/ brand/ grain of ammo? Or did you try several to see if some grouped better than others?
Sorry for all the memory joggers but I would start answering these questions before you started changing stocks. Also you wont need the extra tools unless you decide to do a barrel change out not changing the stock.

mousemotors
04-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Now I have had in the past a Choate stock which worked well but it was a little heavy to carry around unless this will be a bench gun.

Dantheman
04-04-2017, 02:36 PM
it has the factory stock that comes with the 11vt and passes the dollar bill test. I shoot with a Caldwell Rock under the front forearm and a sandbag under the butt. All the screws are tight. The scope is the scope that came with the package so I haven't tried it on another gun. Before I take the plunge on a stock I am going to add a one piece base and Burris rings that I already have to eliminate a base/ring issue. I have tried several different factory loads and about five handloads. It grouped well with 150gr Sierra Gamekings loaded with Varget on the lightest load in the Sierra manual. Of all the factory loads I've tried it will only shoot Walmart Perfecta 150gr FMJ in a 1" or less group. I planned to use this for longer shots while hunting in a stand so the FMJ isn't my first option.

mousemotors
04-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Do you have another scope that you can try? Either yours or some one you can borrow from? Just to rule out the scope I would try that first. Do not put on a borrowed scope, bases and rings at the same time. If it does group better you will not know what really fixed the issue. Looks like pretty well everything else you may have covered. Also try cleaning, if you haven't already, the barrel very well making sure all of the manufacturing material/debris is out of the barrel. Then shoot 6 to 8 rounds to foul and then try the best grouping loads that you had previously. How many rounds have you run through the barrel?

Dantheman
04-04-2017, 04:26 PM
I can borrow a scope. I thoroughly clean the barrel after each use. I have probably put about 60 rounds down the tube. I don't have that information with me. I never get the barrel more than warm to the touch. Also, tools I mentioned earlier were to change the recoil lug to the accustock style if I go that route. I have read that the non-accustock action and barrel will not fit in the accustock due to the recoil lug.

boostless
04-04-2017, 06:56 PM
My opinion, you should let your barrel build up in "dirtyness" and see what happens. I only run a boresnake through my rifles after the range and clean at 300 + rounds. What do you torque your screws with? Lastly, and not an insult, are you capable of shooting it to the level you are expecting?

Dantheman
04-04-2017, 07:51 PM
I've heard of people having to let their barrels "foul up" before grouping. I will try that also. I understand your last question. This is the Internet and there are a lot of tall tales. I shot the five shot group below with another savage. I would like to see a similar group for my 11vt.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/dpd439/6A37AD72-C683-4600-A9CF-1D11A0A0A12E_zps5onc4xhg.jpg

Dantheman
04-04-2017, 07:56 PM
The http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh297/dpd439/2AE387EA-3CC1-448A-954C-7484105A13BA_zps9hpanhst.jpg

mousemotors
04-05-2017, 07:54 AM
I can borrow a scope. I thoroughly clean the barrel after each use. I have probably put about 60 rounds down the tube. I don't have that information with me. I never get the barrel more than warm to the touch. Also, tools I mentioned earlier were to change the recoil lug to the accustock style if I go that route. I have read that the non-accustock action and barrel will not fit in the accustock due to the recoil lug.

I would try the scope swap for sure. As far as cleaning your barrel after each use, DON'T! Only clean your barrel when accuracy drops off. Different barrels will vary. Sometimes 100 to 400 rounds is the normal. Also when you clean, use a cleaner that removes just the carbon residue not the copper. and do not brush it. Just jag it. Each time you clean it you remove the copper that is needed to help in accuracy, I know that sounds backwards but it is the truth. Copper from the rounds fill in the imperfections from machining. Also do not oil your barrel when cleaning unless you are putting it away for storage for a long time. Oil kills accuracy. Finish off your cleaning with dry patches until you see no residue on your clean patches.

FW Conch
04-05-2017, 08:49 AM
Lead ?????

mousemotors
04-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Sorry, meant copper.

dogmir
04-06-2017, 10:19 AM
I just put my 10t in a choate stock. I can tell you it is very sturdy. That said much bigger, a bit heavier. I will say mine was not exactly a perfect fit. I had to clean up the in letting on the bottom to get a good fit. The safety tang also doesn't seat properly. A very noticeable gap underneath it. Nothing bedding will not fix. Just waiting for my devcon to arrive. I also broke some of the edges on the aluminum v-block, as it was de-burred very well if at all.