PDA

View Full Version : Er shaw kit for 7mm mag build

lungpuncher1
04-03-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm doing my first build and I've decided to make a western hunting rig in 7mm mag out of my 110. I already ordered the mag bolt face and I'm barrel shopping now.

What's everyone's opinion on the ER Shaw kit for 7mm mag that eabco sells for $230? It comes with gauges, barrel nut wrench and the barrel.

Good or bad, I'd like to hear it.

hereinaz
04-03-2017, 03:39 PM
I got the .260 rem barrel kit and have been pleased. It is the barrel kit that started this madness for me. I haven't stretched it out beyond 200 yrds, but the word is good and bad on the barrels.

So far, I like my 7mm rem mag barrel from Ragged Hole, a sponsor here. Not quite as expensive as other customs.

lungpuncher1
04-03-2017, 03:44 PM
I got the .260 rem barrel kit and have been pleased. It is the barrel kit that started this madness for me. I haven't stretched it out beyond 200 yrds, but the word is good and bad on the barrels.

So far, I like my 7mm rem mag barrel from Ragged Hole, a sponsor here. Not quite as expensive as other customs.
I've been searching and googling as much as i can on the er Shaw barrels and haven't found much bad. What am i missing?

What sets criterion and such ahead of er Shaw other than price?

FW Conch
04-03-2017, 06:16 PM
I have ER Shaw barrels in 260 Rem & 6.5 Grendel. Both are way less than 1 MOA shooters. The package You speak of is a great value, with no wait time.

hereinaz
04-03-2017, 08:04 PM
You have seen on Google what I saw when I looked. And, my experience falls in line with the reports we have read about the package barrel.

They are a good barrel and a good deal with the extras. I don't think you will regret it. They are reported to be a little better than Savage factory barrels. And, Savage barrels are pretty dang good.

If you are budget conscious and OK with what the Internet reports as ER Shaw quality, then absolutely go for it. If you are asking what more you would get from a Criterion barrel, the difference probably won't mean anything to you at this point.

As for the difference, I don't see any ER Shaw barrels listed as barrels shot by the professional as compiled on the PRS blog. That is one difference you get from a custom barrel--a little more accuracy at the margin... if you don't need or want that, go for it. Or, get a different twist, chamber, profile, length, crown, etc. Custom barrel makers also tend to work harder to maintain reputation if the barrel won't shoot or is found with a defect.

Apache barrels another sponsor makes it right, and has loyal customers, per everything I have seen.

lungpuncher1
04-03-2017, 08:07 PM
I think I'm going to go ahead and get the er shaw kit. Only thing is they are back ordered.

Anyone have a clue on the lead time? I'm going to call them tomorrow at eabco.

hereinaz
04-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Good luck. You will have fun for sure.

Just know they hire an angry gorilla at the factory to put on those nuts.

I found a good solid whack with a very heavy sledge hammer starts the nut off easiest. The first one I just wasn't hitting it hard enough and wasn't using a heavy enough hammer.

stomp442
04-04-2017, 12:20 PM
These are great package deals and shoot very well. I think you will be well pleased with it.

RC20
04-04-2017, 02:28 PM
What you do gt with the custom makers is far more likely to get a good shooting barrel, vs ok and the occasionally just bad one.

Other part is cleaning. Savage barrels are hard because they are rough inside. Doesn't affect shooting Directly) but it does cleaning.

Rough part is it can build copper, some and some.

I don't know how good they are if you get one and it does not shoot.

My easiest cleaning barrel is Shilen, its the smoothest inside so they lapped it.

mousemotors
04-04-2017, 03:32 PM
I have ER Shaw and Criterion barrels, both are good barrels from what I have experienced. But if it is in your budget go Criterion or Shilen. Mater of fact call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply and ask all the questions you have. Then make your own decision.

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 03:39 PM
I have ER Shaw and Criterion barrels, both are good barrels from what I have experienced. But if it is in your budget go Criterion or Shilen. Mater of fact call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply and ask all the questions you have. Then make your own decision.
That's what I've decided. I'm going with Shaw on my 7mm08 build and I've decided to use criterion for the 7mm mag build.

FW Conch
04-04-2017, 04:15 PM
How long will You have to wait ?

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 04:16 PM
How long will You have to wait ?
I called eabco and they told me 6 months for the 7mm mag stainless and 4 months for the blued.

FW Conch
04-04-2017, 04:24 PM
How about the Criterion (wait time) ?

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 04:25 PM
How about the Criterion (wait time) ?
I have no idea. I'm going to build the 7mm08 first. Then worry about the 7mm mag.

FW Conch
04-04-2017, 04:32 PM
There is a 7mm Mag barrel on eBay, custom, $210 takes it now, under "savage barrels".

lungpuncher1
04-04-2017, 04:35 PM
I saw that. Its a bison gun works barrel. I really think I'm going to hold out and either build a remage off an action i already have or find another savage but in a magnum gun already.

hereinaz
04-04-2017, 04:36 PM
There is a 7mm Mag barrel on eBay, custom, $210 takes it now.
I think that is Bison, and I got one of them, but have yet to shoot it. It is still in the closet. I am dying to do it, but have work to do on that build before I spin on the barrel. Other builds took priority.

I had a question/problem and he was quick to respond and take care of my ignorance.