PDA

View Full Version : More Votex Viper questions

Mr. Snerdley
08-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I have not decided on what particular scope to buy yet. I originally thought the 4-12 would be what I wanted, but the 6.5-20 is the same price. It would seem to me that the higher power scope would be the better value, but I am not very knowledgeable about these things and would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Also, why is there such a great price difference between the different recticles? There is $150 difference and I just can't quite understand how there could be that much difference in price.

As you can tell, I know very little about these things and I appreciate your patience in dealing with my questions.

Thanks to all for your replies, and I hope to learn more.

This is definitely a good forum with knowledgeable people that are willing to help a novice.

EFBell
08-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I think there must have been an overrun or very slow sales on the target dot reticule so the price would be for clearence of an overstock item. It is the same scope otherwise. If you want a target dot go for it. personally I like the plex type reticules and have a Viper with same. Very nice scope. Also these are 30MM scopes, not 1" as the 4-12's are so it is a lot more scope for the money.

wapaloose
08-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Camera Land does have a wide V plex also in the 6.5-20X44, I got one last week from them along with a 2-7x32 Viper.

375Win
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I guess it depends on what your going to do with the scope. I just purchased a 6.5x20x40 w/target dot. It will go on my rifles for load development and target shooting. All of my hunting(coyotes/big game) guns have 1x4 to 2x10 scope as I like the large FOV for close in or moving targets even these lowest powerred variable are plenty plenty for coyotes out to 300 or so yards.

If your game is PD's, Rockchucks or paper a higher power variable is really nice, my 22LR target rifle has an 8x32x40mm scope.

Just my opinion but it's worked for 50yrs for me.

375Win