PDA

View Full Version : Savage 112 220 Swift What Did I Buy

Pages : [1] 2

Augie
04-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Picked up a Savage 112 in 220 Swift today. Had seen it at a local gun shop a couple weeks ago and did some research and decided to buy it today if they still had it.
Seems to have had little use, pretty clean rifle with 1 small mark in stock. Heavy fluted barrel, nice trigger, very light, I would guess just under 1 lb. Single shot solid long action, just over 5" between action screws. Took it out of the laminated stock and it looks to be pillar bedded.
Couple questions, going to get a better scope mount, looks like I will need a long action with flat rear, is that correct? Put a Lyman 20X on it for now using the mounts and rings the rifle came with.
Another question is with the trigger, looked stock to me, like I said it is set very light, could these triggers be set light safely? have worked the bolt several times and trigger does not trip, safety does work.
Anyone have any idea when the rifle dates from?
I already reload for 220 Swift so should get it out to the range this week and see what it will do.
Here are a few pictures,

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/jorau/IMG_6710_zpsseczqq92.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/jorau/IMG_6707_zpsqmx3heal.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/jorau/IMG_6711_zpsptppmatx.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/jorau/IMG_6705_zps5krfo2cu.jpg

Robinhood
04-01-2017, 04:51 PM
In my opinion what you purchased is a very fine rifle. I think that is an early version of the 112BVSS. Somewhat rare. Waiting on someone with more knowledge than me to verify.

If I had purchased it I don't think it would be long and I would have a long range 6, 6.5 or 7 mm barrel on it. Yep a 6mm or 6.5mm Swede sounds pretty good to me.

Beautiful Rifle. Thanks for posting pictures.

J.Baker
04-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Scope mount: Yes, long action flat top is correct for this.

Trigger: Hard to say if it's factory or not without a photo of the trigger assembly with the stock removed. Could be a 3-screw factory trigger, in which case yes - they can be safely worked over to get down to around a pound or so. It could also be a SSS, Timney, Rifle Basix or an old Canjar trigger. Like I said, hard to say without seeing the trigger assembly itself.

Vintage: The 112 BVSS (repeater) and BVSS-S (single-shot) were introduced in 1994, but that year they had a non-fluted barrel. Fluting was added in 1995. In 1998 Savage launched new Model 12 BVSS and BVSS-S models built on the new Gen II short action (4.275" screw spacing), but also continued to offer the long-action 112 models. The single-shot 112 long-action variant disappeared from the catalog in 1999. So long story short, your rifle was made sometime between 1995 and 1998.

keeki
04-01-2017, 06:55 PM
I've had a couple of those, both were shooters 1/2" or less guns. Both also had 3 screw triggers

hereinaz
04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Beautiful.

Augie
04-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Thank you for the input guys, MrFurious, thanks for the detailed information on date, I did not think it was that old, it really is in very nice condition.

MI223
04-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Not to hijack the thread but when was the transition to stainless action? I see one at my locol cabelas in the used rack just like this one with a blued flat back short action. I know another guy with a newer 4.4 stainless action

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

dfrosch
04-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Put a Lyman 20X on it for now using the mounts and rings the rifle came with.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/jorau/IMG_6705_zps5krfo2cu.jpg

Hi Augie,

Not familiar with that scope, but most have the turrets on the top and the right.

Also, did the stainless bolt handle come on the blued receiver?

Nice rifle.

Dana

Texas10
04-02-2017, 09:09 AM
My first Savage was a model 12 BVSS and someday I hope to shoot as well as it does. Very beautiful, and very capable in skilled hands.

You can always call Savage customer service and give them your serial number. They can tell you the model and date of mfg.

I put a target accutrigger on mine, bought it from this forum. If you're interested, become a paying member and watch the ads.

Welcome to the barrel nut club!

Augie
04-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Hi Augie,

Not familiar with that scope, but most have the turrets on the top and the right.

Also, did the stainless bolt handle come on the blued receiver?

Nice rifle.

Dana

Dana, thanks for spotting that, I threw the scope on without thinking, saved me some time at the range. Don't know about the bolt handle, maybe someone that remembers these new will know.

bsekf
04-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Augie, PM sent

Augie
04-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Augie, PM sent

Bsekf, replied PM.

RC20
04-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Sweet biscuit, nice find.

If there is a Savage action I would like it would be a long action single shot.

Ok with my home made one but ........

Lake trout
04-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Sweet biscuit, nice find.

If there is a Savage action I would like it would be a long action single shot.

Ok with my home made one but ........

I have that same rifle ,but my stock is solid laminate Wood with no plastic black forestock tip. It is in 22-250 and I was changing it into a .20 VarTarg..My problem is the firing pin is to big a diameter for the the small caliber bolt head,223 size bolt head.. Rifle is long action...Maybe someone here on the forum Can steer me in the right direction for shooting a small caliber round in a long action bolt of the 112.

hereinaz
04-03-2017, 08:38 AM
I have that same rifle ,but my stock is solid laminate Wood with no plastic black forestock tip. It is in 22-250 and I was changing it into a .20 VarTarg..My problem is the firing pin is to big a diameter for the the small caliber bolt head,223 size bolt head.. Rifle is long action...Maybe someone here on the forum Can steer me in the right direction for shooting a small caliber round in a long action bolt of the 112.
That is the large firing pin. Savage switched to the small diameter firing pin. So, either get an older bolt head with large pin hole or a small (magnum) diameter firing pin.

Do a search to find more info.

scooterf79
04-04-2017, 07:02 AM
Very nice rifle! Looks sharp! I really like the stainless/blue look. I put together a swift last fall....unfortunately, I not had time to do much shooting with it yet.
Scooter.

J.Baker
04-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Not to hijack the thread but when was the transition to stainless action? I see one at my locol cabelas in the used rack just like this one with a blued flat back short action. I know another guy with a newer 4.4 stainless action

Savage was using SS actions on the Model 16/116 Weather Warriors during this timeframe as well. Why they went with the blued action/stainless barrel combo on this particular model (and the 112 FVSS Long Range) I don't know. Based on catalog images 2000 was the last year for the blued/stainless combo on all such models.

MI223
04-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Great info mr F. Thanks

Augie
04-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Thank you all for the information and comments.

Was able to get the rifle out to the range today and sighted in, shoots very well but the trigger took some getting used to, i was overestimating when I said it was 1lb, it really is only a few ounces, too light for me, I touched off a few before I was ready.

Last group of the day was the best, 37.8 grains 4064 and a 53 grain Hornady match hollow point, single large hole is 5 or 6 shots, pretty strong wind left to right, 100 yards.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/jorau/IMG_6715_zpsyiicvnxp.jpg

Never know what you are going to get when you buy a used rifle, this one seems really have potential, going to have to take some pictures of the trigger and see if someone can tell me what I got and how to adjust.

scooterf79
04-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Very nice! Umm...not sure you need to touch anything lol. Any idea what kinda speed you were getting with that load?
Scooter