PDA

View Full Version : Changing bolt face- small to med. what do I need to know ?

savageboy
04-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Hello All,
I'm turning my 223ai into a .260 rem to begin my pursuit of tactical shooting. I've read a few posts both here and google. Other than confirming the diameter of the firing pin (2001--> have a smaller diameter firing pin and hence hole in the boltface), making sure I don't loose parts, etc. what do I need to know when doing this?

Robinhood
04-01-2017, 11:47 AM
You need to know how to disassemble and reassemble the bolt. You need to know how to check and set firing pin protrusion. .040" +or- .005" will work.

Other things you need to know: how to replace your magazine, how to check head-space correctly.

savageboy
04-01-2017, 03:01 PM
You need to know how to disassemble and reassemble the bolt. You need to know how to check and set firing pin protrusion. .040" +or- .005" will work.

Other things you need to know: how to replace your magazine, how to check head-space correctly.

Thank you Robinhood.... I saw on a google search the way to set the firing pin protrusion is to take a sharpie, mark the firing pin in the hold that allows you to see thru it when you take it out, them put the new bolt face on and line up the "dot" on the firing pin in the hole again. If the bolt face is about the same dim. which I am assuming it it, I should be all set.
I have .308 based cartridge go / no go gages, thank you for your thoughts :) Anything else Im missing?

Robinhood
04-01-2017, 04:18 PM
If the bolt face is about the same dim. which I am assuming it it, I should be all set.

Well kinda sorta. If you can get the dimension from the rear of the lug to the face of the bolt. You might be close if it is the same. Rarely is that correct...hit or miss really.

I would use a depth mic or a dial caliper to set protrusion.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?143-Firing-Pin-Protrusion-Data