PDA

View Full Version : scope opinions/ practical experience

tropicmaster
09-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I am building a LR savage rifle. Actually I will probably buy one from one of the forum members, and go from there. I have abut $500 to spend on a scope and have located these three-
Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24- $629
SWFA SS 20 x 42 fixed- $280
Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20- $450 after rebate

I have read a lot of good reviews of the SWFA SS, but am also a firm believer in " you get what you pay for "
Something I dont understand is that the fixed prices are in general a lot higher than the variables?
I am a little leery of the SS fixed 20 because I will be doing some hog hunting that could be as close as 100 yds or even less.
The Bushnell is a bit out of budget, but I would go there if there is a big upgrade from the others.
They all seem to have enough MOA adjustment to get me to 1k once I start shooting that distance.

ctrout
09-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I have heard good things about the Vortex but I don't own one and have never seen one so I can't give you a comparison. I do own the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 X 50 and it is a great scope for the money. I don't think that you could do any better in your price range. You can actually do better on price too. You can get it here http://www.arcadian-sales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=42-6245T&Category_Code=Bushnell_4200_Rifle_Scopes&Store_Code=AS for $584 FREE shipping.

HRstretch
09-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I have the lower end Vortex Crossfire 6X24X50 and I am amazed at the clarity and quality of this scope. If this one is that good imagine what the upperend of the line (Viper) will be like. I think you will be happy with the Vortex.

pdog06
09-27-2009, 11:59 AM
The Vortex Viper hands down IMO. I have the same one you have listed and it is one great scope. I also have an older Elite 4200 6-24x40AO that is really nice, but the Viper is alot better. The Viper has 68moa of elevation for long range shooting, and is built like a tank.

pdog06
09-27-2009, 12:10 PM
tropicmaster, I just sent ya a pm.

rjtfroggy
09-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Tropicmaster go to www.opticstalk.com a lot of real good info on all different makes and models. Don't worry about the quality of the ss scopes I have a 20x42 and it is crystal clear and focuses from 10 meters to infinity. Some of the posters over there use them for hunting and rave about them, and all say it is worth a lot more than what they cost.
Remember there are no middle men involved so the price stays reasonable since SWFA makes and sells them exclusively.

dolomite_supafly
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Look into either Falcon or Wotac scopes. I have heard nothing but great things about both. Both are reasonably priced for what you get.

Sniper Central has done numerous reviews of them and all have been positive.

Sniper Central Scope Reviews (http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm)

Wonder Optics (they have Falcon scopes also) (http://www.sightwonders.com/)

Dolomite

tropicmaster
10-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey guys thanks for the opinions! I went with the Vortex and in fact it should hit my doorstep tomorrow according to the UPS website.

aubie515
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Looks like I am too late. I wanted to tell you that you could save another $50 on the Vortex Viper. Scott at Liberty Optics has the lowest prices. After rebate I paid under $400.

Don't waste your money on the Wotac. It is a POS....I had the 3rd gen and 4th gen.