PDA

View Full Version : Athlon ARES BTR 4.5-27X50 FFP- Opinions?

savageboy
03-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Hello,

I haven't posted in awhile, just getting into tactical shooting in addition to F class, building a 260 Rem tactical rig and need a good scope for shooting steel out to 1100 yds and as a back rifle for deer hunting out to 400yds.

A friend to me about these scopes, held them side by side, same power setting and claims they seem "as good as" the Vortex Razor.

I did a google and search here cant seem to find any objective opinion of or review of this scope and how it stacks up against its competition.

Here's a link to their website. I'm looking at the 4.5-27 FFP.
http://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-btr-4-5-27x50-aplr3-ffp-ir-moa/

So, I submit the the board's collective wisdom and am looking for some real world or other opinions?
Seems like a great scope for $850. What do ya'll think?

Hot Brass
03-28-2017, 08:05 AM
I have two of the Athlon Argos BTR scopes and the Ares is on my radar.

bossmav
03-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Most of these are still on B/O from Athlon so there's not many on the street yet. Once the shipping starts you'll find out more about them but it may be a month or 2 down the road.

Hot Brass
03-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Called Athlon yesterday and was told the Ares will be here in April/May.

keeki
03-29-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking a burris xtr ii for that kind of money

SageRat Shooter
03-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Seems like a good option for the price range. That range puts you in the same class as Vortex PST, Sightron SIII, maybe the Razor. The zero stop is a nice feature that the Sightron SIII doesn't have (I have one). I got mine when they were cheaper, and on sale. I think they are a bit more expensive then the $850.00 range of the Athlon for the FFP, but the RFP is in the same price range.

The glass is ridiculously clear IMO, but it's the first high end scope I've ever owned, so I can't really compare it to anything other than the Vortex PST, (which were the 2 I was trying to decide between) The Sightron kicked it's butt up and down the block all day long.

SageRat Shooter
04-19-2019, 03:37 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'm now in the market for a new scope. I'm seriously looking at this one now.

Any of you guys out there that have bought this scope recently and care to share any thoughts you might have on it?

Thanks,

Dave Hoback
04-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Nm

celltech
04-19-2019, 08:21 PM
I had a Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 APLR1 Gen 1 and honestly was not enjoying it. Didn't realize the side focus was completely whacked and it would not focus past ~200 yards. Hated the reticle with the alternating hash marks and was generally "meh" about the whole thing. Sent it in to get the focus fixed and they said they really could not fix it and were no longer making it. But offered to send me a new Midas TAC 6-24x50 for another $30. WOW!!! This is a whole nuther level. Have to admit I am really enjoying the clarity and operation of the TAC. I am not missing the IR or christmas tree reticle at all. Love the FFP and zere stop much more. So I can at least highly recommend the TAC.

Dave Hoback
04-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Nm

SageRat Shooter
04-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the write up and the bit of info on the sacrifice of clarity in the FFP/SFP debate. The only reason I prefer my FFP now is for the sub tensions remaining consistent no matter what magnification I'm on or in between. I use a rangefinder like everybody else to find distance...

Dave Hoback
04-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Nm