PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 FV in 223

Wayne Powell
03-26-2017, 06:06 PM
Had a chance to shoot one last Thursday and totally enjoyed it. Thinking very seriously about buying one. I think I know a lot of the positives to buying but I would like to hear the negatives. This forum has a lot of knowledge and the negative aspects will help me decide if I want to do it or not. Thanks in advance.

holescreek
03-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Start here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?46164-Cabela-s-Savage-12FV

Wayne Powell
03-26-2017, 06:52 PM
thanks

Wayne Powell
03-26-2017, 07:53 PM
holescreek,
This was absolutely no help to my credit card but a great help to me. I just pulled the trigger on a Savage 12FV 22-250. Thanks again.

Start here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?46164-Cabela-s-Savage-12FV

wfournier
03-26-2017, 09:49 PM
I have one in 223 and am waiting for the email to tell me the one I ordered in 308 is in. The one in 223 made me buy another, right out of the box it shoots great, well under MOA. I'm pretty sure once I find the right load and learn to do my part consistently it'll be half or better. I have a couple 5 shots groups that are close to and one right at 1/2in at 100 yards (one has four shots in like .3 MOA and one flier that opens it op to .7 ( I still find it slightly funny that I am complaining about a well under MOA group).

All that aside, I need to fiddle with it some and work on getting it to feed smoothly. With factory ammo I get about 25% of the rounds that are low going into the chamber and I have to push down on the back of the case to get them to feed. It's annoying but for what the gun costs and how it shoots it's worth having to sort out (and hopefully I can get that to be a non issue). As has been well covered the stock is not the best, I planned to replace mine immediately but it has been shooting so well with it that I have not gotten around to that yet, and it may stay for a bit longer at this rate.

holescreek
03-26-2017, 10:03 PM
I didn't mean to appear rude, there is just so much good info in that thread in between all the talk about sales and rebates it's a shame to see the thread disappear. But since the sales are over, maybe the thread is doomed anyway.

All that aside, I need to fiddle with it some and work on getting it to feed smoothly. With factory ammo I get about 25% of the rounds that are low going into the chamber and I have to push down on the back of the case to get them to feed. It's annoying but for what the gun costs and how it shoots it's worth having to sort out (and hopefully I can get that to be a non issue). As has been well covered the stock is not the best, I planned to replace mine immediately but it has been shooting so well with it that I have not gotten around to that yet, and it may stay for a bit longer at this rate.

My only real complaint was with the internal mag too, it was really hard to push a cartridge into it. I solved the problem with an AI mag and some aluminum.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Holescreek/Gunstuff/bolt%20action/Savage/20160613_130639_zpsyo0adxjg.jpg

My buddy bought one a month after I bought mine, his mag was easy to load but he had some ejection problems. He solved it with a replacement ejector from an aftermarket supplier.

Wayne Powell
03-27-2017, 10:53 PM
holescreek,
I was only joking about it be no help to my credit card. That was a great pointer to some excellent information. Enough info to convince me to buy one. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Did not mean for you to take my joking wrong.

I didn't mean to appear rude, there is just so much good info in that thread in between all the talk about sales and rebates it's a shame to see the thread disappear. But since the sales are over, maybe the thread is doomed anyway.fo
orf

My buddy bought one a month after I bought mine, his mag was easy to load but he had some ejection problems. He solved it with a replacement ejector from an aftermarket supplier.