PDA

View Full Version : New 6mm Rem Build

deertroy1
03-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Well, I finally have all of the parts necessary to complete my Savage 6mm Rem. build. As I posted earlier, after waiting a while for the barrel I am disappointed McGowen engraved it on the exterior and the stamp will be on the bolt side upside down. This is even more so after another gentleman posted a pic of his prefit Shilen that wasn't engraved on the exterior at all!

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff382/deertroy1/IMG_0668_zps34eoy6gf.jpg

drybean
03-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Headspace the barrel , mark were you want the engraving to be
remove the barrel , take it to a trophy shop an have it engraved

deertroy1
03-25-2017, 08:13 PM
I could do that but I still have the old engraving showing upside down on the opposite side of the barrel. It doesn't hurt anything, it just looks really unprofessional and that someone didn't know what they were doing!

scooterf79
03-28-2017, 12:10 AM
Hate to hear about your engraving.
The parts for your build look good! Keep us posted on the rifle and load development. Don't see the 6mm rem much.
Scooter

RC20
03-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Nice looking combination. I like wood and some variation on a blue receiver.

What is the barrel coating?

IF you do it again try Shilen. They don't mark the exterior. Now sure all who does and doesn't

XC does. So that one has the markings odd angle.

We had one reports the stamping transmitted through the metal to the barrel.

Not sure it happens often but another reason to go with no exterior marks.

wbm
03-29-2017, 03:09 PM
I am disappointed McGowen engraved it on the exterior and the stamp will be on the bolt side upside down.

lol! Well I won't tell...so no one will really know it is "unprofessional" and "on the bolt side upside down" unless you tell.

m12lrs
03-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Just curious

If you put the no go gauge in and screw the barrel down where is the engraving then?

No go is saami max. If you are a reloader saami max would be fine as long as you only bump the shoulder 1 or 2 thousandths

deertroy1
03-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Still upside down.

RC20
03-30-2017, 03:35 PM
As Robinhood pointed out, as go/ no go and field are very close, not much barrel screwing around in or out to massive change.

wbm
03-31-2017, 07:36 AM
Good idea to go with the 6mm Remington. If the Shilen is a "shooter", you will like it. Did one of those a while back and learned that it does have some advantages over the 243.

scooterf79
03-31-2017, 08:09 AM
Good idea to go with the 6mm Remington. If the Shilen is a "shooter", you will like it. Did one of those a while back and learned that it does have some advantages over the 243.
I've never shot or had one but I'm kinda intrigued by it. It's a little unusual(or uncommon I guess) actually has a little more case capacity than the 243. I'm really curious to see his range results with it.
What were some of your results wbm?
Scooter

deertroy1
11-01-2017, 04:54 PM
I've never shot or had one but I'm kinda intrigued by it. It's a little unusual(or uncommon I guess) actually has a little more case capacity than the 243. I'm really curious to see his range results with it.
What were some of your results wbm?
Scooter

Here's a few.

https://i.imgur.com/I08bVpzl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6VxrOJBl.jpg