PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle brake question

SMG6702
03-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Hi all another question about my stealth I was back at the shop I bought this from and they were asking me if I would want to put a muzzle brake on my rifle they do look nice and I know they serve a purpose but is this something that you would recommend I've read that they can be offensive to my fellow shooters at the range and much louder I do like the look of it so I could just put a flash hider or leave it alone was looking for advice. thanks in advance

hereinaz
03-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Purpose is reduced recoil. If reducing recoil gives you benefits you want, and it outweighs the negatives, do it.

No tender shoulder, more shooting in one session, and keeping on target are reasons I run them in big calibers...

Looking cool is not one of them.

If you are at a gun range, loud is par for the course. Be kind and accommodating in your choices, but shoot what you like. You can choose a muzzle brake with less concussion if that worries you. Some really do make it more pronounced on the shooter and bystanders...

RC20
03-25-2017, 05:27 PM
I have a different take. Looks is not the end all, but it does have an attraction. Some of the best looking tanks have a muzzle break!

I choose Laminated stock for all my guns because I did not like the look of the composites. While I am not artist, I have been very pleased with how good looking the combo of the Laminated stock (usually a wood looking) the stainless barrel and the blue receivers.

I have nothing against those who like composites and are happy with them, just not for me.

You get a lot more conversations started with good looking guns and that part of the shooting interest for me is to talk to others who like shooting.

We have both a shed and outside benches at our range. I think when it has a muzzle break on it, the shooter should use the outside bench and as far away as possible if they are going to use the break

You can also removed it to target shoot at a range.

I will leave it to others to tell us if that changes the characteristics of POI (or even accuracy). Its really disturbing to be next to someone who lets one of those off and out get the blast.

I have jerked far too many shots as a result of that and then distracted expecting it until they leave.

An option is to do most of the shooting without it (capped) and then a few rounds to get back to the POI if that is what you would be hunting with if that's the serious use.

bearcatrp
03-25-2017, 05:45 PM
If your shooting mild loads, and can see your shots impact, then just a choice to have. But if you shoot hot loads like I do, you may want one. My 10T doesn't have threads. Cannot see my shots as my rifle rises. You will have to decide.

bossmav
03-26-2017, 06:14 AM
Lot of good answers here already, like everyone else's answer is just my .02 so here goes.
Your question about other shooters at the range is something I wouldn't worry about, OP will be there with a brake on their weapon and more than likely one with a larger caliber and if someone doesn't understand then they have never shot a large caliber.
POI will change with a brake on so you will have to readjust your optic. Now some people with say a muzzle brake is just a waste of time and that target shooters never put one on their system because it will impede accuracy, I don't feel that is completely true but once again my .02

If you can pick up a good brake without breaking the bank I say go for it and try it, if you like it leave it on and if you don't sale it.

I have 2 brakes one on a 7mm mag and one on a 300 win mag neither had threaded barrel so I went to Witt Machine and got their clamp on brake and I love them!!! they also make threaded ones as well, there is a lot of good brakes out there so get the one you like the best. Here the link to Witt. http://wittmachine.net/ Good luck with your system!

Terry

m12lrs
03-26-2017, 07:06 AM
I think muzzle brakes are disgusting. Anyone who puts a muzzle brake on a mild kicking gun just fell for a bunch of sales BS. The most obnoxious thing at the gun range is some fool with a short barreled .308 with a brake. **** thing will blow the paper targets off the benches next to it . Not to mention the shock wave hitting the shooters. They should be outlawed or at least ostracized to a segregated area of the range.

Robinhood
03-26-2017, 10:40 AM
I think muzzle brakes are disgusting. Anyone who puts a muzzle brake on a mild kicking gun just fell for a bunch of sales BS. The most obnoxious thing at the gun range is some fool with a short barreled .308 with a brake. **** thing will blow the paper targets off the benches next to it . Not to mention the shock wave hitting the shooters. They should be outlawed or at least ostracized to a segregated area of the range.

This reminds me of a day at the range. The setup was moved far away from any other shooters. Some newbies with their girlfriends came down to see the guy that had some serious equipment. Prior to the shot a warning was given to move back due to the muzzle brake. There were smiles as if they felt like being behind and beside, they were safe. A second and third warning was rejected and followed by a smile from the shooter. Then the shot was fired. Looks of shock and awe filled all four faces. The boys picked up their hats. The girls tried to hide the fact they wet their pants as all briskly walked away. None looked back. Big smiles came from the other end of the line.

Bimmer
03-26-2017, 12:08 PM
... looking for advice. thanks in advance

Shoot the gun, first.

If the recoil is so much that you're willing to put up with the downsides of a brake, then put a brake on it...

creedman6.5
03-26-2017, 01:40 PM
My take is this: a rifle, or any gun for that matter, is a tool. Not a conversation piece, visual accessory, or anything more than a tool which serves a specific purpose. That being said, I run a brake, or can on every long range rig I've got. The reduction in recoil allows me to spot my impacts through the optic, and even see the trace of the bullet in some cases. I'll be wearing ear protection wether my rifle has a brake or not, so noise has no bearing in my reasoning or decision. I choose the brake for increased accuracy, better spotting, never need to crimp my loads due to recoil reduction, and there's other advantages as well. Much faster and more accurate follow up shots too. Even on a .223 ar, it takes a minimal recoil and completely eliminates it. On my creedmoor rigs, it takes a .243esque recoil down to light .223. It's noticeable, and completely worth it. If I was shooting a big magnum rifle, there's no way I'd run it without a brake.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170326/3bc0cfcf7d6aa5cbf9f7940fcd4ae3d3.jpg
Shooting this thing is like a video game with the adjustable gas block and brake. Absolutely does not move!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

creedman6.5
03-26-2017, 01:44 PM
If you'd like to see videos of me shooting a .338 lapua mag, or my ex shooting my 6.5 creed to see the minimized recoil text or email me. 816-835-4902, mobowman@icloud.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero333
03-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Some brakes give a much bigger concussion blast than others.

I had a Kahntrol solutions brake on my 300winmag target rifle, and the concussion blast was so bad I had to take it off. I would shoot 50 rounds with it on and end up with a headache for the next 12+ hours ! Never mind the other folk around me LOL.
It did however reduce the recoil better than any other brake I use / used. Recoil with out it on this 300winmag is by no means hard since the rifle weights about 17 lbs, so I didn't mind taking it off. Now it's on my 243win rifle and the concussion isn't that bad compared to the 300winmag. And now the 243 has the same recoil as a 22LR, maybe even less !

here is a link to a good muzzle brake test which includes loudness along with all other things like reduced recoil and staying on target... A must read if considering a muzzle brake !

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

For hunting rifles it's absolutely unnecessary to put a muzzle brake on them in my opinion.

SMG6702
03-27-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the help I never had a scoped new rifle so it is nice to see your shots thru the scope when they hit I'm not used to that with all the milsurp rifles I shoot but I do understand the increased sound and blowback I shot it this weekend and the recoil isn't bad it's just nice to see the shots hit without to much moving

Phranque
03-27-2017, 06:14 PM
My take is this: a rifle, or any gun for that matter, is a tool. Not a conversation piece, visual accessory, or anything more than a tool which serves a specific purpose. That being said, I run a brake, or can on every long range rig I've got. The reduction in recoil allows me to spot my impacts through the optic, and even see the trace of the bullet in some cases. I'll be wearing ear protection wether my rifle has a brake or not, so noise has no bearing in my reasoning or decision. I choose the brake for increased accuracy, better spotting, never need to crimp my loads due to recoil reduction, and there's other advantages as well. Much faster and more accurate follow up shots too. Even on a .223 ar, it takes a minimal recoil and completely eliminates it. On my creedmoor rigs, it takes a .243esque recoil down to light .223. It's noticeable, and completely worth it. If I was shooting a big magnum rifle, there's no way I'd run it without a brake.

This.... and it just so happens that my muzzle brakes are the attachment points for my rifle suppressor.

Texas10
03-29-2017, 12:29 AM
I typically choose a bench on the 200-300 yd targets, specifically to get away from the masses on the 100 yd line. And if a shooter with a magnum or other large caliber rifle with a brake sits down beside me, I'll move or go home. I'm not being sensitive, or obnoxious. I've learned from many hours at the range that excessive muzzle blast directed towards me will give me a horrible migraine later in the day. Besides, just the smell of burnt propellant is obnoxious.

A shooter firing just a few shots to sight in a scope next to me doesn't seem to bother me. But more than a dozen blasts and I'm toast if I don't get outta there fast.

Makes me think of all the GI's returning home from combat in the "sand wars" complaining of migraines. Gotta wonder if there's a connection.

I'm hoping the Hearing Protection Act passes soon. Can't wait for suppressors to become all the rage, instead of bad-ass brakes.

gmanhawaii
04-18-2017, 01:38 AM
To me, muzzle brakes are a useful tool, I have one on my 270 along with a fat recoil pad, a lot of people ask me why on a 270. Because I like shooting comfortable, why put up with recoil of any degree if you don't have to. I have one on my FLCP-SR in .308. As far as other shooters at the range, I look at it like heavy rock music, "if it's too loud you're too old" or you need better hearing protection.

SMG6702
04-18-2017, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the input I decided to go with a PWS PRC took it to the range this weekend and loved it definitely reduced the recoil not that it was bad anyway but you can see your shots without much movement noise was not that noticeable the people next to me didn't seem to mind and I purposely asked them to see if it bothered anyone I'm glad I did it this really is a great rifle to shoot