PDA

View Full Version : .300wm to 7mmRM rebarrel

REDDOGAGGIE
03-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Looking to get a Stealth in .300wm and rebarrel to a 7mmRM. Just suits my shooting needs better. I like the chassis and the 110 action. I can change the stock later. I have checked with savage but long story short, I know I got two wrong answers on this. Is the 110 in .300 win mag a small or short shank? Have not seen any new threads on this in past 2-3 yeas after looking. I would like to use a Proof Research barrel (8.24 twist, 26" carbon) to do the swap. Proof told me as long as the action has 1-16 threads the "precut savage" barrels they make are simply put on like normal. Would this work? I know bolt is good to go. Thanks!

hereinaz
03-23-2017, 07:31 PM
It all depends upon how Savage cut the receiver threads for that particular model. Being a 10 or 1:10, or even and 11 or 111 doesn't matter.

I don't have a stealth, but every time this has come up they are large shank.

REDDOGAGGIE
03-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks for that. What about threads? Would the threads fit wheather or not it's a small or large as as threads are 1-16?

dfrosch
03-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Yep, the pic on their site sure looks like a large shank barrel nut.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BAStealth

Here's how you can tell:
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes
That page also says that the thread for a large shank is a 1.120" x 20tpi.

REDDOGAGGIE
03-23-2017, 08:29 PM
I saw those posts but since they were a couple years old I just wanted to double check. Looks like Proof makes those prethreaded barrels just for the 6.5 and .308. Dang. On to the next option.... any good ideas on what to look for now?

hereinaz
03-23-2017, 09:55 PM
I'd start with the barrel guys that are listed in the sponsor part of the forum.

CriterionBarrels
03-24-2017, 01:07 AM
Feel free to visit this page to check the shank diameter on large and small shank barrels:

http://www.criterionbarrels.com/savagecontours.pdf

If you have any questions regarding our pre-fit barrels you can shoot me an email at josh@criterionbarrels.com or feel free to give Northland Shooters Supply a call. Either of us would be more than happy to help out!

Zero333
03-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Always have the receiver in hand before ordering a pre-fit barrel.

There is always a small chance Savage could make the 110 Stealth on both small and large shanks.

I have a couple 111 receivers from 300 winmags that are small shank.

hereinaz
03-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Always have the receiver in hand before ordering a pre-fit barrel.

There is always a small chance Savage could make the 110 Stealth on both small and large shanks.

I have a couple 111 receivers from 300 winmags that are small shank.
Absolutely have it in hand!

As a general rule though, I have seen "regular/plain" factory models 110, 111, etc. in magnum calibers like 7mm rem mag and 300/338 win mag (not short magnum) are small shank. All four of the factory 7mm mag barrels, and my 300 an 338 win mag barrels have been small shank.

Short magnums have a history of both small and large shank...

My speculation!!!! I bet for some higher end target and precision type rifles Savage uses large shank for the actions, including the Stealth for production reasons, because the .338 lapua uses a large shank. It seems those actions are also "blueprinted" at the factory.

REDDOGAGGIE
03-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Ok. Thanks guys. I just wish I had a straight answe from savage. They gave me the muzzle and scope base measurements when I called and it took about 15 minutes to get those. I will head to a LGS today and have them measure. If it does not work out I'm just going all in on a Masterpiece Arms BA in 7mm. You guys are a great resource!!

SDKMMC
03-24-2017, 12:07 PM
If it ends up being small shank, I'll be interested in buying the 300 Win Mag barrel from you. I'd say it'll be small, but that's pure speculation, AKA don't trust me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

REDDOGAGGIE
03-24-2017, 02:42 PM
If it ends up being small shank, I'll be interested in buying the 300 Win Mag barrel from you. I'd say it'll be small, but that's pure speculation, AKA don't trust me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Got off the phone with Savage again and got good answers this time. The Stealth has a 1.2" barrel nut and, I think she said 1/20 threads. So the Proof precut barrels are out. It is the large shank as well. It seems as this is a pretty new development for this series of rifles. Sorry no extra barrel t sell now. May look at an HS Prescision to do barrel swap with. Good stock (Needs bedding) and pretty sure it's small shank and proper threads. Im starting to lean towards an MPA bolt gun but that leaves no room for a new range finder.

hereinaz
03-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Shillen sells a nice action that is a Rem 700 footprint but cut for savage barrels and bolt heads... totally build your own custom.

REDDOGAGGIE
03-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Shillen sells a nice action that is a Rem 700 footprint but cut for savage barrels and bolt heads... totally build your own custom.
I didn't see that on their site. Will check it out