PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Lapping

trentcwwilson
03-23-2017, 11:53 AM
So, I've heard various things. The gunsmith I have an apprenticeship with says it's ok to lap the bolt, yet what I've read online in forums say not to lap the bolt due to the floating bolt head design. I have my 10 FCP-SR, mentioned in other threads, and although it isn't a major issue, the bolt isn't the smoothest thing in the world. Would lapping the lug grooves in the action slick it up at all or would that just be time wasted?

sharpshooter
03-23-2017, 12:47 PM
It would be a waste of time because that is not where the problem lies.

trentcwwilson
03-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Care to explain?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

m12lrs
03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Read timing a savage action

trentcwwilson
03-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Well, this isn't a comp rifle so I guess I'll leave it as is. I'm not gonna spend that much money on a little problem.

Zero333
03-25-2017, 09:04 AM
The more you use it the smoother it will get.

trentcwwilson
03-25-2017, 09:26 AM
The more you use it the smoother it will get.
I hope you're right. Not exactly the smoothest throw in the world.

Robinhood
03-25-2017, 10:42 AM
If the roughness that you are talking about is sliding the bolt back and forth you can get a DMT diamond medium sharpening hone. It is about 4.375 long and .900 wide. The top is hard to get to but the bottom rails are pretty simple to clean up. You will be surprised at the roughness of the lug rails on some Savage actions. I use a very light oil as a vehicle to remove the metal away from the cutting surface. Scrub when done. After that, a little lube does wonders. .........If you are talking about bolt lift, SSS T&T is a bargain. The ramp is too steep so the cocking ratio gets reworked from something like .250 to .200 in <90 degrees rotation. Rayhils lift kit (with some grease) combined with shortening or "shimming" the BAS for adequate but not overwhelming firing pin spring preload helps if you DYI.

trentcwwilson
03-25-2017, 10:50 AM
I've got stones for gunsmithing purposes. I don't use DMT except for knives. They don't exactly make the top of the line items I'm used to using on guns.

Robinhood
03-25-2017, 11:06 AM
The only reason I suggested DMT was the fit for the work. If you have a Norton india stone or something better that fits by all means use it. It has been my experience that stones wear and are irregular unless you lap them flat regularly. My DMT red is surprisingly flat and has served me well. It does not wear when i am limited in motion but have a bit of proud metal that needs to be reduced. I am interested in what you have in the 1 inch wide less than 7/16ths thick stone. I will definitely pick one up.

trentcwwilson
03-25-2017, 11:17 AM
Gesswein is all I use. 220, 320, 400 aluminum oxide for rough work and initial polishing for bluing and their ruby stones for final finishes. I keep extra new stones in stock specifically for this kind of work.

Robinhood
03-25-2017, 12:31 PM
That is nicer than the average Savage-Smith uses. The point being is I am as average as they come. I had to check out the sizes Gesswein offered. If you can keep the surfaces on the same plane, life is good. I think you will like the results if your wanting to smooth that sliding motion.