PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me?

Shooter71462
03-22-2017, 09:53 PM
I have an old Savage Model 10 chambered in 243 Win. This is an older hunting rifle that has been used plenty. I am wanting to purchase multiple barrels in different calibers and want to use the same action and scope on each. I do plan on running very good MOA optics. I have never done this before, but barrel changes seem to be a fairly simple task when viewing them on the internet. What calibers can I choose from for this particular action? Any suggestions on what barrels to look at? I do want heavy barrels as they will be used for range shooting and hunting as well. I plan on replacing the stock as well so any suggestions there are welcome. If there is already a thread on here that applies to this please direct me there, but obviously all comments are welcome. This will be my first time changing a barrel out. I have dies to load quite a few calibers so no big deal as long as the selected calibers will work with this action. I do appreciate and respect your time to respond and will always help where I can.

olddav
03-22-2017, 11:29 PM
How old is old?
As far as what fits, this may be some help. http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?264-What-Fits-Cartridge-List-%28PDF-version%29

Lots of info in the FAQ section

big honkin jeep
03-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Any of the short action calibers that use a .473 bolt head will work just fine.

jpdown
03-23-2017, 10:44 AM
An older Savage SA rifle is most likely has a stagger feed action (magazine box is attached to bottom of action) with a blind magazine and top bolt release. Therefore any Savage SA, small shank barrel in .243, 6mmBR, .260, 6.5 Creed, 7mm08, .284 Win, 338 Federal are a few of the more common switch barrel options. Boyd's Gunstocks still offers several styles of Savage SA, SF, BM stocks that would work with the older rifle. Also check Numrich Gun Parts for a selection of discontinued factory Savage SA, SF, BM stocks.

hereinaz
03-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Add a small bolt head for .223, .204, .300 black.

You will want go gauges for your barrels. Some gauges work for multiple calibers. If you hand load for precision, getting the headspace back the same will be priority one after a barrel switch. Imagine changing a barrel, but increasing the headspace by .010 or .005... that makes a difference in accuracy depending on bullet, resized brass, etc. Make it small, and your fireformed brass want fit...

CriterionBarrels
03-24-2017, 01:04 AM
I have an old Savage Model 10 chambered in 243 Win. This is an older hunting rifle that has been used plenty. I am wanting to purchase multiple barrels in different calibers and want to use the same action and scope on each. I do plan on running very good MOA optics. I have never done this before, but barrel changes seem to be a fairly simple task when viewing them on the internet. What calibers can I choose from for this particular action? Any suggestions on what barrels to look at? I do want heavy barrels as they will be used for range shooting and hunting as well. I plan on replacing the stock as well so any suggestions there are welcome. If there is already a thread on here that applies to this please direct me there, but obviously all comments are welcome. This will be my first time changing a barrel out. I have dies to load quite a few calibers so no big deal as long as the selected calibers will work with this action. I do appreciate and respect your time to respond and will always help where I can.

Feel free to shoot me an email at josh@criterionbarrels.com or give James at Northland Shooters Supply a call. We'd be more than happy to discuss barrel options and help determine what the ideal configuration is for your intended use for this rifle. Barrel changes can be pretty straightforward with the right tools!

hereinaz
03-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Feel free to shoot me an email at josh@criterionbarrels.com or give James at Northland Shooters Supply a call. We'd be more than happy to discuss barrel options and help determine what the ideal configuration is for your intended use for this rifle. Barrel changes can be pretty straightforward with the right tools!
I have never heard of a Criterion barrel that didn't shoot, though I have yet to use them.

Barrel changes are pretty straightforward, though my first one took a couple tries and a few hours just to get the first barrel off... Savage leaves lots of grit under that barrel nut, and they have a big ole ape put them on. Literally, I now use a 20 pound block of steel to knock them loose.

It is easy now. I just pulled a barrel in about 5 minutes, and most of the time is getting out my tools and walking to the vice in my backyard... and, it really was this forum that helped me. Seriously, a search for "barrel nut" and "ape" will probably bring up some good threads, LOL!

The last barrel I put on took about 10 minutes at the vice setting the headspace like Goldilocks... first try, just a little too big, second just a little too small, and third try just right. And, all those tries were within saami spec.

s3silver
03-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Here's another vote for CBI: around $300, no long wait/ lead times, beautifully made, and will shoot better than you can.

SageRat Shooter
03-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Here's another vote for CBI: around $300, no long wait/ lead times, beautifully made, and will shoot better than you can.

I'm all for the Criterion barrels, but the lead times are rather long if you're having one made. I ordered my 260 rem match barrel on December 27, 2017 and it won't be shipped out until the end of April apparently.... So you can figure around 16-20 weeks for delivery.

I'm a CBI fan for sure... just hate waiting for it to get here....

Shooter71462
03-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Actually it is not that old. I bought it new like 12 - 14 years ago. I think the ling above is going to be quite a bit of help. Thank you for sharing.

RC20
03-25-2017, 05:11 PM
It would help if you can define your wants a bit better.

Some obvious ones would be the 308 Winchester, 260 Remington (I think that can be done on a short action).

What are you hunting? One of the 6.5s would be an obvious choice (Creedmore or Lapua) for target, hunting and you can go outwards of 1000 yds with it.

I would go with a Savage Varmint profile at the heaviest. If you want to hunt with them all, a Heavy Hunter profiled is good compromise. I don't like pencils as target shooting with them is a pin, but they are a lot nicer to pack around hunting (moving hunting)

How long a range shooting do you do?

If one is going to be just a target gun and bench rest or supported, I would go with a bull barrel for that.

RustyShackle
03-25-2017, 06:13 PM
I'm all for the Criterion barrels, but the lead times are rather long if you're having one made. I ordered my 260 rem match barrel on December 27, 2017 and it won't be shipped out until the end of April apparently.... So you can figure around 16-20 weeks for delivery.

Sgt. Kyle Reese is that you?

RC20
03-26-2017, 11:33 AM

Anything special seems to be a fairly long wait no matter who.

I think the Shilen 06 Bull was 3 months, the 7.5 iLW s going to be 2 months.

You just need to keep other rifles around to shoot with in the meantime!

More common barrels often are in stock or out soon.

Luckyshot
03-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Sounds like they are shipping the barrel 8 months before you are going to order it. That's fast!

SageRat Shooter
03-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Yeah..... I always forget what year I'm in for the first several months after January... December 27,2016 is what I should have said. Bottom line of what I was trying to say is.... It's a LONG wait right now.