PDA

View Full Version : Cocking piece position in notcch

memilanuk
03-22-2017, 09:38 PM
I've seen some discussion about how the cocking piece should be some amount (e.g. 0.080") off the bottom of the notch when the bolt is fully decocked. My question is... with that button/flange on top of the cocking piece covering the notch... how do you tell if its bottomed out or not, much less how much?

Robinhood
03-22-2017, 10:43 PM
If you hold the bolt body and hold light pressure on the cocking pin in the fired direction, there will be some movment indicating you are not bottomed out. A good flashlight will help also if you want to look under the head. If you do bottom out you will be compressing the spring almost .350" before it falls into the notch and comes to rest around .320" Fred nows these numbers better than I do but from what I have seen the factory sets it at about .250. If the ramp is modified the cocking ratio looks to be around .200" in 90* or less rotation. This is with the pin about .080 off the bottom.

Hope that helps.

Robinhood
03-22-2017, 10:47 PM
Also if you have some calipers, you can adjust it until it will go no lower then adjust it until you calipers read your desired point on above BDC.

memilanuk
03-22-2017, 10:47 PM
I thought the firing pin was supposed to be bottomed out on the firing pin stop on the front end of the pin assy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
03-22-2017, 10:48 PM
It is. I thought you were asking about the cocking piece pin?

Edit. Under the head of the cocking piece pin

memilanuk
03-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Yes, but if the firing pin is bottomed out on the stop, then how can the cocking pin have some slight forward movement like you described?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
03-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Not axial movement, rotational movement. If the coking piece pin rotates without moving axially it is not bottomed out on the radius of the cocking ramp.

sharpshooter
03-23-2017, 01:13 AM
There is no set amount of clearance, but it's wise to have some. When you get close, check your pin protrusion, then wind the cocking piece a quarter turn at a time, till your pin protrusion gets shorter. That's where the cocking piece pin bottoms before the stop nut does, then back off the cocking piece a quarter turn.