PDA

View Full Version : What 30 cal bullet choice

Pages : 1 [2]

trentcwwilson
03-28-2017, 04:10 PM
+1 this. My Howa HB (1-10 twist) didn't shoot anything under 175gr worth a hoot until I tried the SGKs in the 165 gr BTSP. Shoots those almost as good as the Berger Juggernauts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hard to beat the Juggs.

Boondoggle
03-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Hard to beat the Juggs.

I didn't think anything was better than 175 SMKs. And I was wrong.

trentcwwilson
03-28-2017, 04:31 PM
I didn't think anything was better than 175 SMKs. And I was wrong.

I got a dozen boxes of both in a sellout from a friend. 200 bucks for it all. I finally got the 175s to shoot .6" with 43.0gr of 4064 and I'm sticking to the max load of Varget for the 185s. I'll try 4064, but I don't think groups will shrink.

Boondoggle
03-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Wow that's a heck of a deal. I run 46.0gr of VV N550. I get 1/2 MOA out to 300 (longest I've shot groups) and there has to be a pretty good wind at full value to worry about a wind call out to 500.

trentcwwilson
03-28-2017, 04:44 PM
I've taken the 175s and 185s to a grand, all in the X. I LOVE the 215 Bergers, but in not enough throat in the 10 FCP-SR.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

RC20
04-01-2017, 03:52 PM
I am not by any means an expert. However, I find the best accuracy in my rifles are loads that are a little less than maximum. As far as I know, finding a good load is pretty much trial and error. Have fun!!!

You can make it non trial and error. OCW method is one way.

I am still where I start out at .3 above the minimum load, usually from the specific bullet mgf (Hornady or Sierra) and work up in .3 or .5 grain steps.

Once I find an area it likes, I load loads above and below it to see if I am in the middle of a node or on the edge.

Once I am happy with that I start chain COAL unless I have a recipe already that it likes that bullet for already (usually some idea)

I still play with COAL to see if difference combo makes a difference with COAL.

So far it does not seem to.

You should find a node it likes between low and mid load and again someplace between mid load and maximum.

There may be a third node right up at maximum but I don't usually play there.

trentcwwilson
04-01-2017, 04:02 PM
You can make it non trial and error. OCW method is one way.

I am still where I start out at .3 above the minimum load, usually from the specific bullet mgf (Hornady or Sierra) and work up in .3 or .5 grain steps.

Once I find an area it likes, I load loads above and below it to see if I am in the middle of a node or on the edge.

Once I am happy with that I start chain COAL unless I have a recipe already that it likes that bullet for already (usually some idea)

I still play with COAL to see if difference combo makes a difference with COAL.

So far it does not seem to.

You should find a node it likes between low and mid load and again someplace between mid load and maximum.

There may be a third node right up at maximum but I don't usually play there.
In all my rifles, mostly my custom builds, I've yet to find a load in the low-mid range that they like. I tend to load within spec in .5 increments. Find what it likes, load every .1 between the previous and the next. Sure, lot of powder, bullets, and money, but it's yet to fail me.