PDA

View Full Version : Short-Action savage prints

gvnwst
09-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Hey all, I'm new here, for a while, I have been trying to obtain blueprints or accurate 3-D CAD files for the 3rd gen (not sure, should be third gen) savage short action, as I am going to attempt to construct my own with a few modifications. If anyone knows where I can obtain these, depending on price, I would be willing to pay for them. I need a mag fed version though, as I intend on designing in a integrated magazine well for a as of yet undecided .308 size magazine. My original plan was to purchuse the action on Savages website under precision actions, "Detachable Box Magazine Varmint Actions Stainless standard bolt head", and add BM, but I decided, why not make it myself? :D

Thanks for your help guys!

P.S. If this question has been asked, sorry, I tried searching for it, but couldn't find anything.

gvnwst
09-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Nobody? These things gotta exist somewhere...

outlawkyote
09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Let me see, Your planning to BUILD your own action? Is that right?

Better talk to the ATF before doing that

Carvera
09-30-2009, 08:34 PM

What's wrong with building your own action???

Now, finding CAD drawings for a Savage action would be pretty difficult to find I imagine.

outlawkyote
09-30-2009, 08:41 PM

What's wrong with building your own action???

Now, finding CAD drawings for a Savage action would be pretty difficult to find I imagine.

From what I understand, It requres regestering through the ATF and there are also special rules if its a repeater.

sharpshooter
09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
You can build all the actions you want for yourself. They can never be sold, but they can be handed down to your heirs.
And I do have a set of cad prints, but I was sworn to keep them for my eyes only.

sinman
09-30-2009, 10:05 PM
you must have a lot of high dollar machines at your finger tips if you are going to build a copy of a Savage action or have a ton of money to pay for someone else to build one.

outlawkyote
09-30-2009, 10:12 PM
You can build all the actions you want for yourself. They can never be sold, but they can be handed down to your heirs.
And I do have a set of cad prints, but I was sworn to keep them for my eyes only.

I was hoping someone would know for sure. Thats nice to know, does ATF even need to know about the build then?

Apache
09-30-2009, 10:29 PM

I was hoping someone would know for sure. Thats nice to know, does ATF even need to know about the build then?

This would be very interesting....

dolomite_supafly
10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
You can build any type of firearm that you could legally buy. That is you can build semi autos, bolt actions, single shots whatever. You just need to follow NFA laws, no machine guns or short barreled rifles unless you get a stamp from the ATF and those do require serial numbers. There is no need to notify anyone of the build unless you are required to notify someone when you buy a gun.

There isn't even a legal requirement to have a serial number on something you build. I would recommend a serial number because most law enforcement assume all firearms must have a serial number and will confiscate any who don't as well as the fact you will probably get in some trouble.

I have been batting around the idea of making a smaller scale howitser that fires 12 gauge. Becuase it is considerd a gauge I can get around the larger than .50" restrictions. Rifled 12 gauge barrels are readily available.

Dolomite

gvnwst
10-02-2009, 01:38 PM
you must have a lot of high dollar machines at your finger tips if you are going to build a copy of a Savage action or have a ton of money to pay for someone else to build one.

I am very blessed to have such machines at my disposal, and a brother who is a machinist. He is actually looking to buy a EDM machine soon, so I will use that to cut the bolt raceways.

Do you know where I could find some? Or even blueprints, I can make my own CAD files from scratch, I am quite adept with the various softwares.

As to the legal issues, I am familiar with the ATF's rulings on these matters, I don't intend on doing anything illegal...

Thanks guys.

sinman
10-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Lucky, I will trade you brothers haha

CFS
10-02-2009, 07:43 PM

You can build all the actions you want. They are built for you to use, but they can can be sold. It's not some thing you want to do on a regular basis. Then you would need a manufacturor's license.

POP

sharpshooter
10-03-2009, 01:18 AM
You need to recheck your facts, what you are saying only applies to building firearms from registered receivers.

DaveMK
10-03-2009, 08:06 AM
never mind, It is not worth going into.

Hooz
10-15-2009, 01:42 PM
No... Actually you can sell a scratch built receiver or firearm. As long as you don't make it initially with intent to sell (then you are a manufacturer).

Say I want to finish three 0% AR lowers for my own use. I do all the machining and finishing (perfectly legal). I build out two of the lowers, but the third just sits on a shelf in my gun safe for two years until a buddy sees it one day and asks me to sell it to him. It's all perfectly legal (as long as I follow State laws regarding the private sale of a firearm) because I didn't build it with the intent to sell it.

If I machine and finish three 0% lowers and turn right around and sell two of them, I would be breaking the law because I obviously made them with the intent to sell them. If I wanted to be legal, I'd have to acquire the appropriate permits and licenses to be a firearm manufacturer.

That is the way the law works officially, but it's up to you to decide if you want to rely on the ATF's opinion of what makes-up "intent" or not. ;)

Fjold
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
From the BATFE website

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

gvnwst
10-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Alright guys, no offense, but this is not what the thread is about. If you don't have access to savage short action blueprints or CAD files that I can have, please don't post about anything else...

:)

sharpshooter
10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I'd be willing to share some prints if you'd be willing to share some work....
I'd also like to build a clone with some improvements. I only need the raceways wired out.

gvnwst
10-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Send me a email, I am intrested...although I am not 100% sure of my ability to get a EDM machine, my brother doesn't have one yet.