PDA

View Full Version : New Guy - Hello from Central Illinois

Fletch
03-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Hello all. Been shooting for many years now, mostly longer range precision stuff (a lot of .308 and some 300 WM)...largely recreational and to improve my skills, not much competing but plan to do more as time permits. Have always been a Remington guy as far as bolt guns go (is that heresy around here?), but upon doing some research into getting a new rig built I came across the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" and have chosen to pass on a Remington and go with Savage. Just received my new 10 FCP-SR yesterday in .308. I will use that action & the AccuTrigger as the base for my new build. I went with a 26" Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor varmint-profile barrel from James @ NSS. James was a pleasure to deal with, answered all my questions and helped steer me in the right direction...the barrel, nut, and lug arrived last week, the Cerakote job was perfect and I can't wait to get this build going. For the time being it will rest in an HS Precision stock that should arrive in about 3-4 weeks with CDI bottom metal. I also ordered a Manners stock but from what they tell me it will be about 6 months or so before it's ready to ship. Overall I'm really excited about getting the build going, it will be my first 6.5 Creedmoor and I am also fairly new to reloading so I'm really looking forward to that aspect of it too. I can shoot out to 400 yards here at home, but have access to a 1,300 yard range about 15 minutes away so fortunately I'll be able to put this rifle to very good use.

Glad to be here hope to be able to contribute in a worthwhile way whenever possible!

drybean
03-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Welcome aboard

Rick_W
03-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Welcome

WV1951
03-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Glad you joined us. Welcome.

Hotolds442
03-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Welcome!

Fletch
03-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!!!

Anyone else here from the Central Illinois area that does any long range shooting?

snowgetter1
03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Down by St. Louis. I am just impresses somewhere in Illinois there is a 1500 yard range!

Fletch
03-19-2017, 06:00 PM
No kidding, a decent range in Illinois?!?!? Fortunately we're far enough away from Chicago, otherwise I'm sure someone, somehow, someway would look to put an end to it. The range itself is not really a typical range...the guy who owns the property has steel targets set up at various distances from about 450 yards out to almost 1300 yards. They also have a 1680 yard target but it can only be seen/shot at certain times of the year (late fall, winter, early spring)...they mostly use the farm for planting crops, during the summer the crops grow tall enough to obscure that particular target. Also, the use of the range is by appointment only. Overall it's a fantastic place to shoot, especially here in Illinois.

http://www.elmorestockfarmoutfitters.com/shooting-ranges/

ttexastom
03-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Welcome aboard

ragsflh
03-21-2017, 03:37 AM
howdy

savgebolt
04-09-2017, 09:32 AM
fletch,,,, hello from east central,,,,,, from all i hear you should love the 6.5 creed,,,,, and yes , reloading is fun,,,, happy shooting