PDA

View Full Version : Building my first rifle. Need advise.

PepeLapiu
03-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Hey guys. I have researched for the last two years and it has become apparent to me I need to build my own rifle if I want to get what I want to get.

My prefered action would be Savage with accu-trigger though I remain open to the possibility of a 700 action.
The barrel will be custom bull barrel chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Maybe bull barrel or just heavy contour. Chassis and stock will be XLR. I haven't decided on which model yet.

Will any Savage rifle use the same action? If I buy a cheaper Axis model, will the action be identical?
I understand there are short and long action. I would likely prefer long action for more versatility though the 7mm Rem Mag can do short action.
The idea is to single feed it as a prone gun. So I can get a magazine action but I would likely not need or use the mag.
Can I just buy a cheap beat up used pawn shop gun for the action? What should I watch for in a used action?

Mainly, I'm not sure if all Savage bolt guns use the same action or not, or if there are any variations. .

Your input and pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers
Peoe

olddav
03-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Check out the FAQ section, lots of info that may offers some direction.

Swissfan
03-17-2017, 03:37 PM
The Axis action is different than the 11/111 actions.

All Axis actions are essentially long action, only the magazine and trigger guard(factory) are different between the short and long.

Axis is small (standard) shank as well as most 11/111, but some of the 11/111 are large shank. Not that big of a deal as long as you know what you have.

All Axis bolt heads are short action. The magnum actions have a magnum bolt head, it's a little thicker than the standard and thus requiring a longer firing pin.

I have built on both the Axis and 110 long action, not any difference in the work, just need to make sure you have the correct parts.

There will be more aftermarket parts/pieces for the 11/111 series than the Axis, although the Axis aftermarket is growing.

hereinaz
03-17-2017, 07:04 PM
I suggest you start with a 110 in a magnum caliber. Find one on GunBroker or at a local pawn shop for the cost of an axis. You will be doing your own rebarrel, so you should have the tools to take off the old barrel and sell it.

That is really the best way to go with a magnum rebarrel. If you start with an Axis or even a 110 in any non Magnum caliber, you will end up spending a bunch on the Magnum parts.

For your first rifle, it would cost you more to buy an axis and then the pieces parts to make it into a magnum. Although, if you are interested I believe on the front page of the Forum is a tutorial and a build on a magnum axis.

I have a 7 millimeter varmint Barrel that I have had for almost a year, and I think I am going to try the axis build, but it is about four times the work.

Zero333
03-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Start off with a used magnum 111 and just swap the barrel. done.

PepeLapiu
03-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Start off with a used magnum 111 and just swap the barrel. done.
Yup, I can't find a used 111/110/112 around here.
So I'll likely buy a 112 and swap out tge barrel.
I already got a quote from a Canadian barrel maker for a heavy profile 7mm Rem Mag barrel.
I have no idea if his barrels are well rated or not. That part might be a gamble.

hereinaz
03-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Is there a "gun broker" for Canada, to buy online?

PepeLapiu
03-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Is there a "gun broker" for Canada, to buy online?

Here we don't need gun brokers. I can buy a gun online and have it delivered to my door so long as I provide the seller with my gun permit.
That's for long guns deemed acceptable for hunting. AR-15 and handguns are restricted and a different story.

Apparently a semi-automatic 50 BMG rifle is perfectly safe for me to buy by mail but a .22 rim fire pistol is too dangerous. Government is retarded when it comes to guns.

But anyways, back to the subject at hand. I just haven't found any used Savage 110 type rifles to buy here.