PDA

View Full Version : 7 saum bolt head

jhehl
03-15-2017, 06:22 PM
hi. i have a model 10 in 308 and i want to rebarrel it in 7 saum. can i just get a magnum ptg bolt head for my a short action or do i have to get a different shank length? do i have to do anything with the firing pin? im ready to order the barrel i just want make sure i dont need anything custom. thanks for any info.

RC20
03-15-2017, 07:12 PM
I am far from an expert, but it looks like even with a magnum bolt head you still have to open it up a bit.

Be interesting to see.

I had to do that with my 7.5, its not a 30-06 family base and its not a magnum, a bit larger than 06. It went well, but always a bit nervous shaving metal off that.

Good part is I had a backup bolt from another gun and you can replace the tip instead of the whole bolt if it goes bad.

Firing pin hole plays in and I am not familiar with what is used for the magnums (larger?)

Robinhood
03-16-2017, 12:37 AM
Just measured one of the PTG units. The bolt face counter-bore is .550. The base on most magnum cases are .537 diameter so you are good there.The head thickness or "length" is .560. An eighth longer than your 308. That requires an adjustment of the firing pin stop nut. You can mitigate this a couple of ways. I let others chime in on this because my fix used a lathe.

jhehl
03-16-2017, 10:22 AM
Robinhood is the shank length the same as my 308 bolt head?

Robinhood
03-16-2017, 08:02 PM
If you buy it for a short action it is. The radius has been eliminated as well if that is important to you.