PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: MARK 2 FV-SR startup and barrel break in

Hensley23
03-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone,

First post and thank you all for having me here. I am new to .22lr and looking for some opinions on this. I recently purchased a Mark 2 FV-SR with a boyds stock with adjustable comb. She's sitting on a harris bipod with a bushnell rimfire scope. I am very familiar with centerfire long range shooting, but looking to get into rimfire and shooting tight groups at 50-100 yards. Small game hunting is potentially in the picture, but mainly looking to drill tiny holes at the range. Suppressor for this rifle will be a Griffin Checkmate QD.

How do you guys usually do the barrel break in for a .22lr? I want to do the barrel break in before I really start trying to dial it in.

Thanks everyone!

Phranque
03-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Put a box through it & call it broke in.... Seriously. I used to shoot small-bore competition, and that's all we did.

Welcome to the forum!

Hensley23
03-15-2017, 05:31 PM
That easy huh? hahahaha. I can do that lol

Phranque
03-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Yeah... Also keep in mind that with 22, you get what you pay for in ammo as far as accuracy goes... Don't expect to drill tiny groups with bulk ammo. I've got a TRR-SR with a SilencerCo Sparrow, and it will hold 3/4" @ 50yd with Gemtech subsonic, but to really bring them together, you need to step up to some good match grade ammo. I like Eley a lot, since it's what I shot comp with, but it's a bit spendy.... there are others as well. Best suggestion is buy a bunch of single boxes of varying brands & see what she likes.

Hensley23
03-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Thank you for the information. I got a few boxes of Remington gold ammo I'm going to use for about 100 rounds before I seriously start shooting for groups with good quality ammo. I plan on zeroing at 50 yards, do you feel like that's a good zero for this rifle?

Phranque
03-15-2017, 06:29 PM
50yds is where I usually shoot 22 for it's best potential, though I will occasionally throw in CCI Stingers & ring some steel @ 300yds! Not accurate worth a crap at that range, but it will (fairly) reliably smack a 12" plate.

Rocks23
04-21-2017, 03:36 PM
I recently purchased a Mark 2 FV-SR with a boyds stock with adjustable comb.

Do you have any pics of this stock on the gun? I am looking to buy that stock but wasn't sure if it fit correctly. Thanks

bg7m
05-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Got one a few months ago, just started shooting it when I got home. One heck of a shooter.

Lorenzo
05-10-2017, 08:50 PM
As for break in. Make sure the barrel is cleaned before firong, there can be shipping/packing grease or oil inside. Then I would shoot one clean one X2 then just shoot. The barrel likes to be fouled on this gun so wait to judge accuracey until you have at least 100 rounds throughbit.bof the same ammo. Each ammo has to lay down its own wax/fouling before the barrel gets used to it.