PDA

View Full Version : Best fixed-power magnification for prairie dogs ?

Hammer
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Not a question about best brand of scope...

But what is the best fixed-power magnification for use on prairie dogs ?

Personally have used fixed-powers ranging from 6X to 24X on prairie dogs.

At 16X mirage in the afternoon becomes a serious factor.

Thinking 12X to 15X is about the right range.

Have one friend that uses 10X and another swears by 8X.

LHitchcox
08-22-2010, 02:15 PM
I would pick a 12x and be happy. A long time ago before the coyotes almost wiped out the groundhogs here, I had a 12x Weaver and was happy with it. Then I got a chance to get a Redfield 16x. I did the deal and regretted it from the start. The 16x had a much narrower FOV and it had much more mirage during the midsummer days. But the real problem was that it cost me 30 minutes of shooting light at sundown. I could see groundhogs moving in the shadows with my eyes, but I only got blur when I looked through the Redfield.

laportecharlie
08-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I would also vote for a 12X
Charlie

dcloco
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
I prefer 16x...but of HIGH quality glass.

Is a 16x40 Leupold Mark 4 overkill for varminting? No. (substitute your favorite brand in the previous statement to prevent the "brand x is better than brand y" debate)

Here is why....

If you cannot see it, you cannot shoot the varmint...reliably.

Why waste all of your time, money, equipment, etc, etc....to show up in the field and not be able to make the shots that YOU want to.

Once you have the practice, equipment, and you ready, why settle for inferior glass?

I am sssslllloooowly upgrading optics as money allows. It is so much more of a pleasure to know that when I dial UP 15 MOA, that there is a VERY high percentage that the shot will be made on the first go. If I do my part, the equipment will take care of me....and if the equipment is up to the task, then I have to do my part as well.