PDA

View Full Version : 112 rifle in 7mm RUM flavor?

PepeLapiu
03-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting the 112 in .338 LM.
And if I'm not happy with the cartridge/recoil/ammo cost I would like to switch the gun to 7mm RUM.
Can you buy a 7mm RUM barrel anywhere for Savage rifles?
Where would I find that?

geargrinder
03-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Yes, there are several companies that will make you a 7mmRUM barrel.

However, chances are, if those reason push you away from a 338Lapua you won't be happy with a 7mmRUM either.

PepeLapiu
03-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Meh.....that's okay. Turns out the 7mm RUM has a terrible barrel life. Around 1000 rounds or so. So I'll be looking at the 7mm Rem Mag instead.

Btw, 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm RUM would both be a lot cheaper to feed than the .338 LM.
And the recoil would be a lot let too.

geargrinder
03-15-2017, 09:42 PM
7RUM is pretty expensive to shoot. Most factory ammo run's about $80/20. Recoil isn't much less either depending on the bullet you choose. The RUM case has 10% more case capacity.

Good choice to step down to the 7RM. Heavy barrel and a good brake will make it shoot like a *****cat.

PepeLapiu
03-15-2017, 10:37 PM
7RUM is pretty expensive to shoot. Most factory ammo run's about $80/20. Recoil isn't much less either depending on the bullet you choose. The RUM case has 10% more case capacity.

Good choice to step down to the 7RM. Heavy barrel and a good brake will make it shoot like a *****cat.
I don't think I need to tame down the recoil of a 7mm Rem Mag bullet. It kicks about one third what the .338 LM would kick so I wouldn't think it would be a big deal.

However I prefer the heavier barrel because it would be stiffer, less harmonics, and less heat warp to worry about out. And yeah, vein able to follow my vapor trail would be nice with the nilder recoil.

Now you got me worried about pill prices. I'm going to look that up right away.

Zero333
03-16-2017, 06:22 AM
If you're in Canada you're limited to where you can get pre-fit Savage barrels.

I got 3 Shilen pre-fits from Mystic Precision and they' cost me almost $600 each barrel after shipping (if I remember correctly).

Mystic Precision might or might not have cheaper options and I'm not sure who else can get Savage pre-fits in Canada...

https://www.jccustombarrels.com/

JC Customs is a Canadian Barrel maker from New Brunswick and they offer Savage Pre-fits starting at $525

PepeLapiu
03-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Pretty good that you figured out I am in Canada. But I can easily buy American and bring to Canada. A barrel is not considered a firearm so I wouldn't need any special paperwork for it

The more I think, the more I realize I should just look for an action and get the barrel I want on it.