PDA

View Full Version : Savage LWH 16 purchase

Coltchris
03-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Just purchased a new Savage LWH 16 (stainless/synthetic) in .243 Winchester. Wanted a lightweight/compact & this surely fits the bill at (5.5) lbs. bare & (6.5) lbs. scoped. Haven't had chance to shoot yet as it's been cold & windy here in NW MI. Only concern so far the flimsy synthetic stock fit; barrel channel has large gap on right side & pretty standard gap on left side. Not pretty, but definitely free floated with no barrel contact. Forearm is kinda flimsy, but takes a lot of pressure to contact the barrel. Anyone have one similar? How's it shoot? Really don't care about the looks if it shoots!!!

JeffRaines
03-15-2017, 03:36 AM
Tagging along. I recently picked up one of these in 270. I took it out this weekend to start the break in process with cheap ammo(Hornady Whitetail) before I pick up the dies and such. I didn't get far, the **** ammo was out of spec out of the box... only one in 5 would chamber. I didn't bring my caliper so I couldn't take measurements in the field, decided to play it safe and make sure there wasn't an issue with the gun. Got it home and measured the ammo and yup, out of spec. I have another box of Swift ammo I'm gonna try this weekend.

For the record, Hornady is paying to have the ammo shipped back to them and replacing it, so don't take my post as a complete downing on Hornady. I mean, it sucks, but they're making it right. I won't stop buying their stuff!

From what I've read on a few other sites, people have had good luck with the 308 and Creemoor versions. I can't imagine the 270 243 shooting too badly.

7gables
03-26-2017, 03:14 PM
I have the 16 LWH in .243 if I do my part it is a moa shooter, really like the gun

7gables
03-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Coltchris, have you decided on a scope for your LWH? To keep with the light weight theme I mounted one of the new vx1 leupolds on mine ,3-9x40. I used a dnz game reaper mt., really fit the light weight gun well in my opinion. Ps I'm also from NW Michigan

JeffRaines
03-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Finally got out a couple weekends ago to shoot my 270 LWH.

http://i.imgur.com/EZy0W8j.jpg

Shot with Swift High Grade ammo, which is a 130gr Scirocco over IMR 4831.