PDA

View Full Version : Round hits back of chamber

Pastprime
03-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Please excuse me if I don't use the correct terminology. I don't have much centerfire experience.

I traded for a Savage BVSS that was originally .308 and has been converted to .223. The rifle is a 2nd generation. When I try to chamber a round the tip of the bullet hits the back of the chamber just below the opening. I tried a single shot follower and no change. Should the edge of the chamber have a chamfer on it to allow the bullet to slide up and into it? Is this conversion not a good thing because of a feed issue? Any help or advise appreciated.

Hank

Robinhood
03-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Is it an after market McGowan barrel? Staggerfeed right? Correct magazine and follower?

Pastprime
03-14-2017, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Robinhood;401539]Is it an after market McGowan barrel? Staggerfeed right? Correct magazine and follower?[/QUO

No idea who made the barrel. The .223 caliber markings are all I can find on it. Yes, it is a stagger feed. As far as I know the magazine and follower are original. The single shot adapter is a "Score High" brand for a "Savage Short". The magazine follower comes up and stops against the tabs on either side of the action which looks correct. If the chamber was for a .308 family cartridge the bullet tip would clear the back or the barrel and go in the chamber OK. I think I'll contact SSS and see if they have a SS adapter that might help.

Hank

RC20
03-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Barrel mfg ID is probably on the back, if curious you might be able to see it from the same angle you took the picture.

It seems like a feed issue with the current setup and nothing to do with the barrel itself though.

I wound up with something similar with a open bottom receiver that had a clip. I got a stock that was blank bottom and then filled it in coarsely with wood.

I then fine tuned it with laminate build up so that I could nudge the cartridge forward with my fingers, poor mans single feed.

In my case it I purely bench rest I am only do single feed so not an issue and can build it up a bit more and get it to push forward by itself.

If you want a multi shot then all parts have to work with the feed, ramp and cartridge be it clip or blind magazine.

If I remember right the control round feeds have a full cone at the back of the barrel so they run in smoothly.

Downside is the chamber support gets to be a problem.

jpdown
03-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Contact SSS and get their single shot ramp. I've had a lot better luck with it than the with "Score-High" follower. Should solve your problem.

Pastprime
03-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Barrel mfg ID is probably on the back, if curious you might be able to see it from the same angle you took the picture.

It seems like a feed issue with the current setup and nothing to do with the barrel itself though.

I wound up with something similar with a open bottom receiver that had a clip. I got a stock that was blank bottom and then filled it in coarsely with wood.

I then fine tuned it with laminate build up so that I could nudge the cartridge forward with my fingers, poor mans single feed.

In my case it I purely bench rest I am only do single feed so not an issue and can build it up a bit more and get it to push forward by itself.

If you want a multi shot then all parts have to work with the feed, ramp and cartridge be it clip or blind magazine.

If I remember right the control round feeds have a full cone at the back of the barrel so they run in smoothly.

Downside is the chamber support gets to be a problem.

The back of the barrel has ".223 Rem 8T S/S SAV VAR" electro penciled on it. No mfg. that I can find. I don't need the magazine since I only shoot from the bench and single load. I'll see what SSS recommends. I'm sure their SS adapters are better than what I have.

Thank for the idea on the stock. I'd like to have a different stock for it but looks like 4.275" spacing stocks are hard to find.

Hank

Pastprime
03-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Contact SSS and get their single shot ramp. I've had a lot better luck with it than the with "Score-High" follower. Should solve your problem.

I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks.

Hank

sharpshooter
03-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Single shot ramps are for center feeds. Your problem is dependent on cartridge length, in other words if the bullet was seated out farther, it would start into the chamber mouth before the rest of the case tips. This has always been a problem especially with lighter bullets. The best solution is to cut a feed cone on the breech that is identical to one on an AR-15.

Pastprime
03-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Single shot ramps are for center feeds. Your problem is dependent on cartridge length, in other words if the bullet was seated out farther, it would start into the chamber mouth before the rest of the case tips. This has always been a problem especially with lighter bullets. The best solution is to cut a feed cone on the breech that is identical to one on an AR-15.

Thank you for the comments. My original thought was that a chamfer of some sort was needed but I didn't know how much of one because of loosing case support. I'll talk to a gunsmith I've used and see if he can do that.

Thanks again for all of the information, folks.

Hank

Texas10
03-15-2017, 02:22 PM
When single feeding by BVSS in 223 I cannot lay the cartridge on top the magazine. It will do exactly as you describe. I have to snap the cartridge into the magazine for it to feed properly.

RC20
03-15-2017, 03:45 PM
I looked mine over pretty carefully.

With the build up it almost slides in by itwe3lf.

If you want mu8lti shot you may need to do that, but with a very flat base of wood and then the laminate with a bity more build up I think mine will feed reliably just laying the case on top.

Will play with it and I supposed could even put a grove in the wood to keep it centered.

Arky 223
03-15-2017, 05:46 PM
I had that same problem with a single shot ramp. Two strips of masking tape solved the problem.

Pastprime
03-16-2017, 09:42 AM
I looked mine over pretty carefully.

With the build up it almost slides in by itwe3lf.

If you want mu8lti shot you may need to do that, but with a very flat base of wood and then the laminate with a bity more build up I think mine will feed reliably just laying the case on top.

Will play with it and I supposed could even put a grove in the wood to keep it centered.\

I haven't forgotten your excellent suggestion. I like to tinker anyway. Thinking about doing the wood build up and putting a layer or two of metal tape on top to give it a metal finish look. Something to do until it warms up to shooting weather.

Hank

Dewey7271
03-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Hate to ask but was the bolt head changed? Those are two different bolt head sizes fwiw.

short round
03-20-2017, 12:39 AM
Does it now have a 223 magazine @ follower ? If not, the cartridge will not feed correctly.

Pastprime
03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Hate to ask but was the bolt head changed? Those are two different bolt head sizes fwiw.

Yes, the bolt head is correct.

Pastprime
03-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Does it now have a 223 magazine @ follower ? If not, the cartridge will not feed correctly.

I put the single shot adapter back in and did find one position that will let a round feed. The follower has to be cocked to the side on top of the follower. I guess that makes the round feed slightly off-center. It is a stagger feed system. Not sure that makes sense, but as long as the recoil doesn't move it, I might be OK. Hoping to get to the range this week to see how it works. Sooner or later I want to fill in the magazine area and build up a proper fitting floor in the action. I only shoot targets so I don't need the magazine system.

woodsrunner
03-23-2017, 08:19 PM
I had the same issue with some of my reloads. I was seating Hornady 68 match bullets to 2.38". I had to seat them to 2.30 in order to feed smoothly.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk