PDA

View Full Version : Viper PST production update/problems?

gt40
08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
By the way I am one of the lucky ones that got a 6-24x50mm FFP MOA PST. I do not have any problem with the turret stiffness on my scope. My buddy tried to get them to turn by rubbing the side of his hand on both turrets and couldn't get them to turn. I have only looked through it and zoomed it in and out and mounted it on my rifle. I did the drop chart before I got the PST and ordered a custom turret from Vortex which is supposed to be delivered to me this Tuesday. I am planning to test the turret & scope out this coming weekend. I hope I will be able to hold dead on at all the ranges out to 400 yds. even though the turret will adjust out to 625 yds. I do not have a place to shoot farther yet. I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLDs so 400 yds is probably my limit for killing antelope in Wyoming this fall.

Oh before I forget. I bought two Butler Creek flip open lens covers and the two sizes that fit are #14 for the eye and #43 for the objective. This is for the 6-24x50mm PST. I do not know about the other size scopes. There is a 3/32" space between the Butler Creek and the barrel.

This is how it looks set up with a 20 MOA EGW Picatinney rail and low (1/4") Burris Extreme Tactical Rings:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=562212&highlight=

gt40

boy412
08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info on the Butler Creek caps...I'll be ordering some of those for my PST when I finally get my paws on it.

I'm happy that Vortex is paying such close attention to QC. Myself, I don't mind the wait...but I DID have to buy some temporary optics while I wait. Keep your eyes on the classifieds...there will be a minty Burris Black Diamond for sale soon!

:)

Why do you have a 20 MOA base? Or better yet, at what ranges should one use these? Sorry to thread jack. I love your paint job on the stock! Clever use of fish net...

gt40
08-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Boy412,

I'm using a 6mm Norma BR. with a 1 in 8" twist Brux barrel and 105 gr. Berger VLDs. The 20 MOA rail allows you to use more scope adjustment at extreme ranges.

Today I received my custom turret from Vortex. If my info was accurate it should work great. If not I'll see about getting another one that will be tweaked to work better.

gt40

gt40
08-25-2010, 08:39 AM
This morning I replaced the factory turret with the custom. The range starts at 200 yds. which is my zero and goes to 600 yds. with one revolution and goes to 900 yds with a second revolution. This is calculated to my trajectory and would be different with a different drop chart. I am planning on testing it out this weekend at my hunting camp.

"Aim small miss small", ;D

gt40

gt40
08-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Check here for my first range report: Tested my new custom turret from Vortex.

gt40