PDA

View Full Version : magnetospeed chronograph

noname
03-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Any one have one of these and if you do,how about a report on it.:confused::confused:

rjtfroggy
03-11-2017, 07:48 AM
I use a V2 it is as accurate as any other. If you take your time it may take 5 minutes to set up, as for POI change it is minimal really not a problem.
Others on firing line will like the fact that there is no stoppage so you can set up.

psharon97
03-11-2017, 08:42 AM
I have the v3 and is one of the best investments as a reloader. I develop a great load, attach the magnetospeed, and see how fast it's running. One of the best investments a reloader can purchase.

Phranque
03-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Just type "magneto" in that little search window up there.... all kinds of threads on them.

zach_
04-05-2017, 11:32 AM
I have the $159 variety. I guess it works. I don't know how I would know if it is accurate or not.

Loosen the strap screw all the way and pull the strap taught before using the tension screw to make it tight on the barrel. Read the directions prior to using the thing.

On a remmy Varmint I had to use the larger of the 2 supplied spacers. On a Savage 12 LRP, I used the smaller of the 2 provided spacers.
Getting it to work consistently took a few tries with the bayonet at different locations, so don't get frustrated.

cowtownup
04-05-2017, 01:38 PM
They work great. I wouldn't try to work up a load with one hanging off the end of my barrel. So if that is your intention you may want to spring for the lab radar...

stomp442
04-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Best money I spent in a long time. Bryan Litz has done extensive testing on chronographs in one of his books and the Magneto received very good marks. It was proven accurate within 1 foot per second. I have used it on a lot of different rifles and used the data to plug into the applied ballistics app and everything has been working flawlessly. Best bang for the buck for sure and definetly the easiest to set up and use.

DannoBoone
04-20-2017, 01:39 PM
I have the older V1, and it has worked without a hitch. Magnetospeeds are to regular chronographs as
DVD's were to VCR's, as far as I'm concerned. The only thing better would be the LabRadar for those who
have deeper pockets than mine!

jpx2rk
04-21-2017, 09:02 AM
I talked to 2 or 3 guys at my local range how they liked theirs, and how long they had owned 'em and all. All said they had used them for 3-5 yrs w/ no issues at all, worked everytime. I've got a new sporter model in the house, just need to go to the range and figure it out. LOL.

m12lrs
04-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Best money I spent in a long time. Bryan Litz has done extensive testing on chronographs in one of his books and the Magneto received very good marks. It was proven accurate within 1 foot per second. I have used it on a lot of different rifles and used the data to plug into the applied ballistics app and everything has been working flawlessly. Best bang for the buck for sure and definetly the easiest to set up and use.

The V3 and my kestrel are a great team

Texas10
05-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Yesterday I talked to a guy at the range who had both the magneto speed and Lab Radar and asked him about accuracy. He related that BOTH are spot on, or at least agree with each other with regard to velocity, but that the Lab Radar was less reliable about picking up each shot. Lab Radar doesn't effect POI like Magnetospeed does, but costs a whole lot more, of course.

Phranque
05-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Yesterday I talked to a guy at the range who had both the magneto speed and Lab Radar and asked him about accuracy. He related that BOTH are spot on, or at least agree with each other with regard to velocity, but that the Lab Radar was less reliable about picking up each shot. Lab Radar doesn't effect POI like Magnetospeed does, but costs a whole lot more, of course.

Then he didn't have it aimed correctly. Had mine out last month doing a load work-up for 4064... did 20 shots each at 7 different points 0.5gr apart, plus 10 rounds warm-up (150 total rounds) and it picked up every single shot, with 100% pick-up at muzzle, 20, 40, 60, 70 yards, and 90% pick-up at 80yds. That was with a suppressor on my rifle, the machine set to the highest sensitivity, and a 338 going off 3 benches down... not one false read.

This is a screenshot of the excel data from one of the 20 shot strings, plus another screenshot of my summary page. I found that if I try and go beyond 80yds at the 100yd range, the pick-up drops of dramatically... thinking it's either losing the round or picking up backscatter from the backstop. Nice thing is you can take the distance and meteorological data, plug it into JBM Ballistics, and figure your real-time BC... mine figured to G7 0.335, and Hornady's advertised is 0.338 - Not bad.

EDIT: Sorry if these are hard to read... I had them sized larger, but the site must've crunched them down.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/phranquey/LR1_zpscefmgng3.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/phranquey/LR2_zpsl9wrrg1f.jpg

ragsflh
05-24-2017, 09:17 AM
magneto speed hands down
no missed shots.works in dark.

geargrinder
05-24-2017, 11:01 PM
I have an early version Magnetospeed and love it. Was thinking of upgrading to the labradar, but have seen several reports of durability issues.

jpx2rk
05-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Has anyone used the XFR (?) accessory for the magnetospeed? Did you get the app to work as I could not get the app on my iphone to sync with the little black box when I was piddling with it yesterday here at the house.

rdog52
05-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Has anyone used the XFR (?) accessory for the magnetospeed? Did you get the app to work as I could not get the app on my iphone to sync with the little black box when I was piddling with it yesterday here at the house.

I have it and also have occasions that it will not sync. I don't understand why. Sometimes just a simple unplug and try again works.

Texas10
05-26-2017, 07:56 AM
IT wasn't an aiming issue with regard to the comparison between Magnetospeed and Lab Radar, it was the fact that at this particular shooting range, there is a low hanging obstruction just in front of the shooters bench that prevents a shooter from aiming too high. This was apparently limiting the Radar's "field of view". The owner is a competitive shooter and stated that the Lab Radar suffered very few missed shots at the other ranges he was familiar with.

jpx2rk
05-26-2017, 08:04 PM
I have it and also have occasions that it will not sync. I don't understand why. Sometimes just a simple unplug and try again works.

I tried disconnecting the XFR unit from the phone, then turning the phone off, restarting the phone and trying to connect again a couple times, unplugging a couple more times and got zip, so I quit messing with it for the day

Texas10
06-06-2017, 04:23 PM
My Sporter unit was giving me fits my last range session. Kept reading low battery, so I changed it and then it wouldn't shut off. Every time I unplugged the sensor, the screen would read bayonet unplugged instead of simply shutting off.

Called Customer Service and they put a new display in the mail to me next day, no charge. They're just down the road to me so it'll be here in time for the weekend.

Gotta love their customer service. Good guys to deal with :thumb: