PDA

View Full Version : Weather Warrior: Feeding, Ejecting, and Double Feeds

Opoponax
03-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Hi. I picked up my brand new Weather Warrior in 30-06 this past Tuesday and I fired it for the first time Wednesday. Very quickly a problem became apparent. The bolt wasn't pushing the cartridge into the breach. This happened repeatedly (50% of attempts or so). So I went home and re-read the manual, which essentially said to put the rear end of the magazine in first. This seemed to solve the problem earlier today, but not completely. The bolt would still pass smoothly over the magazine without picking up the cartridge about 10% of the time.

Then, the bolt stopped ejecting cartridges. I tried pulling the bolt back gently, then with more force, and everything in between. It still wouldn't eject the cartridge.

Unfortunately, due to the time difference (I'm in California), I couldn't call Savage, and won't be able to until Monday.

I'm open to the idea that I'm doing something wrong, but my Browning A-Bolt never had this problem. As for Ammo, I've fired nothing but store-bought 150-165 Hornady and Remington Core Lokt through this rifle.

So besides complaining and not being able to do a thing about this until Monday, is there any conceivable thing I'm doing wrong, or that I should know that is unique to this rifle? I understand that lemons roll off the line every once in a while and I don't want to bad mouth an entire company that has a reputation for producing a fine product. But man, right now, this rifle is useless. My 17 year-old daughter was banging round after round off steel plates 400 yards downrange with my old Browning while I sat at my bench fiddling around with my brand new Savage wondering what in the hell was happening.

Thanks for any feedback and/or info.

J.Baker
03-10-2017, 09:44 PM
On the feeding issue, are you sure you are not short-stroking the bolt? Common problem if you're used to the shorter throw of a short-action rifle.

As for the ejection issue, look at your bolt face - is the ejector pin stuck flush or below the surface of the bolt face or is it protruding 1/8" or so? A lot of factor ammunition is loaded very hot these days and on occasion can result in a jammed ejector that will prevent it from being able to properly expel spent cases.

Opoponax
03-10-2017, 10:28 PM
On the feeding issue, are you sure you are not short-stroking the bolt? Common problem if you're used to the shorter throw of a short-action rifle.

As for the ejection issue, look at your bolt face - is the ejector pin stuck flush or below the surface of the bolt face or is it protruding 1/8" or so? A lot of factor ammunition is loaded very hot these days and on occasion can result in a jammed ejector that will prevent it from being able to properly expel spent cases.

Thanks so much. I'll look at both issues and try to get out to the range again on Sunday.

Wogger
03-11-2017, 09:56 PM
If the bolt is just passing over the cartridge in the mag, I have had to slightly open up the feed lips on the magazine allowing the cartridge to sit slightly higher. Then no more feed issues.

Opoponax
03-12-2017, 11:23 PM
If the bolt is just passing over the cartridge in the mag, I have had to slightly open up the feed lips on the magazine allowing the cartridge to sit slightly higher. Then no more feed issues.

Thanks for the suggestion. :) I won't do that for a couple of reasons though. First, it could void the warranty. Alteration to any product usually gives the seller a good argument as to why they can disclaim any and all warranties. Second, it's simply not my job to fix something that's not supposed to be broken. Savage is either going to fix it, replace it, or refund my money.

Zero333
03-13-2017, 01:42 AM
Savage will fix things for you.

I'm sorry for such a shitty introduction into Savage arms. I have seen a recent trend of Savage quality control going down coincidentally right after ATK bought them.

ATK owns many many many companies and in the shooting/firearms world they own the following...
Savage arms, Bushnell, Federal Premium ammo, Blackhawk!, Primos, Final Approach, Uncle Mike's, Hoppe's, RCBS, Alliant Powder, CCI, Speer, Champion Targets, Gold Tip Arrows, Weaver Optics, Outers, Bolle, Cebe, and Serengeti.

I like all my older Savage more than my new ones. Go figure.

Wogger
03-13-2017, 04:33 AM
I hear ya, but it's only a magazine. Your not doing anything to the rifle. And literally a five second fix could save you a lot of time and headache dealing with Savage.
If you aren't comfortable doing that then by all means talk to Savage...