PDA

View Full Version : Brass sorting?s

Pages : 1 [2]

m12lrs
03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Keep them all the same headstamp and you should be good to go. As mentioned in other posts weight does not translate into internal case volume. I don't weight sort or neck turn, but I would probably neck turn before weight sorting so I can at least attempt to achieve consistent neck tension.

Guys over on the long range hunting forum have solved the neck tension dilemma. The lee factory crimp die. They swear by it.

I weighed 50 of my lapua 6.5 grendel cases this weekend just for grins. All were within 1 grain of each other. I called it good.

Mozella
03-16-2017, 05:50 PM
It's difficult to actually prove how much sorting helps (or doesn't help), but in theory it could make a difference if you believe that weight is related to case capacity. On the other hand, I hate to get too silly about picking the fly S**t out of the pepper. I try to strike a reasonable balance between good performance and a reasonable return on my time and financial investment. So here's what I do.

For my 600 yd F-Class matches I need three sets of 20 rounds, plus sighters, so I load about 80 rounds.

I grab somewhere around 100 carefully prepared cases and sort them into three piles, light, medium, and heavy. Cases which are WAY over or under, get set aside and used for load development, etc.
I make sure to load 20 rounds out of the light pile, 20 from the medium pile, and so-on. I also load a few sighters for each of the three strings. That way all 20 rounds for each of the three strings are similar to one another.

This method may not make each round identical, but the 20 in each string are pretty close and it has the added advantage of not wasting any brass. Plus it's quick and easy. There are plenty of steps to keep me busy and I like to draw the line someplace this side of insanity. Others take a different approach and go completely nuts, but they usually don't beat me. When they do, perhaps I'll search for 80 cases all weighing within .02 gr of each other. Til then, I'll use my method and place in the top three in nearly every match, at least on the local level.