PDA

View Full Version : 116 lightweight build

Hoosier06
03-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Got a 116 270 for a steal at a local pawn shop. It's a "G" series serial number. It has a top feed internal magazine. My end goal is to build a lightweight 338 win off of the action. My first problelem seems to be finding a magnum bolt head. I plan on having a proof barrel made when I get the details figured out. Any input and tips on parts would be appreciated.

dfrosch
03-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Hope that your 338 is going to be of the Winchester variety. Gun Shack is a site sponsor:
http://www.gunshack.com/savage-magnum-bolt-head?manufacturer_id=11

If it's a Lapua, I'd have to try to dissuade you. The Lapua actions go through a different heat treat process than your 270 did.

Best of luck and welcome to the site.

squirrel_slayer
03-09-2017, 09:49 PM
all I can say is Ouch! lol

you will need to get a magnum mag box and follower in addition to the bolt face as well as the smaller firing pin. and as nice as the proof barrels are, unless you plan on shooting long strings of fire a #2 or 2b profile should be plently light and save you alot of money.

I may be wise to either sell that rifle and buy a 7mm mag or 300 win as a base rifle. another option is becoming a registered user and seeing if someone is looking to go the opposite route as you. I know I traded my magnum bolt face and firing pin recently for a 30-06/.270 bolt face and firing pin recently. register, go the the wtt forum and see what happens.

Hoosier06
03-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Not going to sell it since I can't even buy an action for the price I paid. Already ordered new bolt components and have a lifetime supply of 338 win components so I'm going to stick with it. I live in grizzly country and spend a few months each year hunting and hiking so I like heavy bullets. My end goal is to have it suppressed since we can hunt here in AK with cans. Would those profiles have enough shoulder to support a can?

Robinhood
03-09-2017, 11:50 PM
Brave man. I would rather have a CRF gun for that job.

MTHunt
03-10-2017, 10:58 PM
I am gathering parts for a lighter weight elk gun in 7mm, but lightweight and 338 win are not pleasant and necessary.. 338 win is way to brutal to have in a lightweight gun even with a decent muzzle break.. if you want light go with something else in my opinion but to each his own..

Hoosier06
03-10-2017, 11:05 PM
I am going the lightweight path so after its suppressed with optics it's still a managable weight to carry. If I canned my ruger it would be 12 lbs and a 30 inch barrel and it shoots to good stock to butcher. Got a new bolt head today it matches the small firing pin.