PDA

View Full Version : Need it ultra-fast or a Heavy hitter? Switch barrel Striker

358Hammer
08-21-2010, 10:00 PM
http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/FastorHeavyhitting.jpg

Proto-type

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/Ultra-lightproto-type.jpg

The remodel in one of the apartment buildings is finished. SO this past week I built 12 feet of bench and glued a nice piece of white Formica down.
Mounted a people proof door in a steel frame and started carrying some of my babies home. Next 30 days my electrician friend working on this project will run a couple 220 lines into this area and, and!!!! Going to start making chips this winter.

This is the new 6.5 and 338 Stretch with the Muscle brake installed on the switch barrel setup.

These barrels are so small that we could not turn the medium muscle brake down to the diameter safely.

Think about this one

Out rockchuck hunting in eastern Idaho with an 85 grain SIerra bullet at well past 3500fps. Elk season is open and while you are spotting for chucks in the rimrock you spy and odd color a mile over in the timber on the other side of the valley. A quick look and there is a small band of elk coming down out of the timber and there is a nice 6X6 with them along with a couple spikes.

You have your cheat sheet and 130 grain Accubonds so you can use the 6.5 and just click your scope to put the heavier bullet on the mark. Then again you have just been dieing to use the 338 Stretch and 200 grain Accubonds on big game. You decide and switch barrels. Check you cheat sheet and make the required scope adjustments and away you go on the 4-wheelers. Its so cool that one can swap barrels without taking the stock off or the scope off. The 6.5 and 338's both have the same sized case so one doesn't need to swap the bolthead out.
What is not to love about a Savage?

Neal

BobT
08-23-2010, 01:00 AM
I like the looks of that stock Neal, what does a rig like that weigh?

358Hammer
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Bob
I think that stock weighed in at 1 pound 12 ozs. I was disappointed but it lead to the next step.

The stock below weighs 1 pound 4 ozs.

Neal

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/BeavertailSideProfile.jpg

BobT
08-23-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm going to try to get my 7 WSM to come in under 7.5 lbs. including glass, probably a 6.5-20 x 40 Leupold. (I want to shoot in the light gun class at Sundance) How do those skinny barrels hold up when they get hot?

Bob

tinkerer
08-23-2010, 03:36 PM
OK. I can handle how to change barrels without removing the scope, but the stock? ???

Do tell.

Larry
Tinkerer

358Hammer
08-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry

I only have two hexless nuts and One is pictured here I use hex nuts typically. I do not put my nuts on tight enough to require the nut wrench to loosen them. I have a set punch and a 2lb hammer in my shooting case. Two taps on/two taps to loosen the nut. One stock I loosen the nut and hold the nut in place while removing the barrel from the action and nut, leaving the recoil lug. The spanner nut with the camo stock, there is enough clearance in the stock to allow the complete removal of everything but the recoil lug.
Actually the stock was made this way for two reasons. 1. Weight reduction. 2. Barrel removal.

Neal