PDA

View Full Version : Are the AccuStock Savages more accurate ?

Hammer
08-21-2010, 08:23 PM

Do those of you who have shot both the non-AccuStock Savages and the AccuStock Savages a lot...

... find the AccuStock considerably more accurate than the older model ?

Are you selling off all your older Savages to replace them with the AccuStock model ?

PawPaw
08-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Some find them more accurate, some don't. If you search these forums you'll find mixed opinion on the AccuStock. It's still fairly new and the guys that tinker with rifles haven't learned all the quirks of these stocks yet.

I haven't sold my Savages to buy Accustocks, but I like the way my Savages shoot. Then too, most of my rifles are pawn-shop used rifles, so I haven't had any Accustocks show up in the used gun rack.

Reviews are good on the stock, and for the average Saturday morning hunter, I'm sure that the stock contributes to accuracy. The bargain-basement stocks that Savage puts on their low price rifles was so soft that we equated it with tupperware, so any improvement in stiffness would be a big improvement.

82boy
08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Do those of you who have shot both the non-AccuStock Savages and the AccuStock Savages a lot...

I have put a few rounds down range with both and must say in my experience, that No, I do not find the accu-stock guns anymore accurate than any other Factory Savage. I would go to say that I actually find that the accu-stock guns are more finicky. I find that the accu-stock is a slight improvement over the factory Tupperware, but the accu-stock still has flex in a critical area at the wrist area. I find that the accu-stock can not compare to the hardwood, Laminate, or the HS precision stocks that Savage uses on other models.

Are you selling off all your older Savages to replace them with the AccuStock model ?

Heck no!

cfvickers
08-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Can we answer Both??? I have played with a few and like was mentioned, it is finicky. My LRH is extremely accurate. It has to be torqued just right for it to make the gun more accurate, and from what I hear they are not all the same, you have to tinker with them and get it where you need to be. Best bet is to work up a good load when you get it from the factory before you mess with the stock, then tighten and loosen and watch your groups grow and get smaller. when you find your sweet spot, leave it alone. It has greater potential for accuracy I think, but you have to find the balance your gun likes. With the standard stock, you tighten it down tight and it will do what it is going to do.

King Ghidora
08-22-2010, 12:23 PM
I've had to tinker with the stock on other Savages too. In particular the MkII rimfire is pretty finicky about how much torque is applied to the action screws. The tupperware stock that came with it was as limp as... (what's the opposite of stiff?) I replaced it with a Boyd's thumbhole and it helped a lot but it still has to be torqued just so so.

blobman
08-22-2010, 10:39 PM
how can i tell what stock my 110 has,the only marki noticed was the savage emblem on the grip bottom,it does sappear free floated though

bodywerks
08-23-2010, 07:42 AM
On the outside, the obvious indicator for an accustock is there will be a screw on the bottom of the stock, just forward of the recoil lug for the accuwedge, which is at the heart of what makes an accustock an accustock. If it ain't there its not an accustock.
And to answer the original question, I've owned and shot both. The accustock is finicky. And the root of its finickiness is the accuwedge. If you just remove the wedge and install the action like you would any other pillar bedded stock you'd be better off. Or bed it like a traditional stock and be that much better off.

Snowwolfe
08-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I am not completly closed off to the idea's behind the accustock but after looking over a couple and reading the magazine articles I simply fail to see where they can be better than glass bedding the action into a good stock.
Certaintly they should be better than the cheap tupperware stocks. But better than a good glassing job into a good brand name syn or laminated stock? Nope.

82boy
08-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Certaintly they should be better than the cheap tupperware stocks. But better than a good glassing job into a good brand name syn or laminated stock? Nope.

Well stated.