PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Fox Model BSE ID Assistance

DEFCON7727
03-05-2017, 06:16 PM
I have a real nice shape FOX BSE 12 gauge that was hardly used and stored away. The right barrel is marked "Proof tested 12 gauge" under that "2 3/4" Chamber." The left barrel is marked "Made in U.S.A" and that's it. The underside of the barrels have the same date code markings as on the watertable between the hinge pin and cocking levers, a V N, (each not circled), then A and F (each circled). The right/left sides of the receiver has the same scrolling design with Fox BSE on right side only, the underside has the Fox head and scrolling, 28' barrels, full/mod with a silver front bead and mid bead,ventilated rib and nice walnut stock and full beavertail forend. Single trigger with selective ejectors. I was told by several folks that this was around '66 to'68 and sometimes the left barrel was not marked Fox Model B. I know this is just a nice utilitarian shotgun, nothing special. I am interested to know of any other opinions as to why the barrels are not marked Fox Model B as I have seen with other Model B shotguns and a date verification.

Thank you for any assistance you can lend. Tom

Mad Dog
03-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Those aren't date codes, might be choke markings or assembly marks.

Does it have a serial number?

DEFCON7727
03-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Thank you Mad Dog, you gave me another avenue to search. It does not have a serial number. I pulled this off of another site;
"The circles and marks on the barrel flats and watertable have nothing to do with dates. The date code is on the bottom of the receiver just behind the hinge, a very tiny oval with the number (month?) and the letter for the year. "A" is 1949, O and Q were not used." I rechecked mine behind the hinge and it is marked 12T within a circle so according to the aforementioned it is December 1966.

Mad Dog
03-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Close, the 12 is the inspectors number but you got the T for 1966 right.

DEFCON7727
03-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Thumbs Up Mad Dog....... any opinion on the barrel markings?

Mad Dog
03-07-2017, 06:20 AM
If you mean the letters I'm pretty sure they're only assembly marks.