PDA

View Full Version : press for seating only

chetc
03-05-2017, 03:34 PM
i am looking for a new single stage press for seating only, not looking for a heavy duty press, something light weight that i can get a better feel of neck tension, was looking at the RCBS partner press, are there any others that may fill the bill that i missed.

chet

schnyd112
03-05-2017, 03:47 PM
I have a partner press, it loads great ammo with the right prep. I also have a Rock chucker as a recent addition to help size .300 wm.
The partner press is small, if you are going to be seating heavies in long action brass, it's gonna be a pain in the butt. It's a tight fit for .260 and 142's. There is some play in the ram, but I think that is ok as the frame and die are solid.

The rcbs summit press may be worth a look. It isn't $79, but it doesn't take up much space and I hear makes great ammo. I have also heard that it is easy to mount on a 2x6 and clamp down to do seating length tests in the field, similar to how you would use an arbor press. Load everything long so you can adjust on the fly.

olddav
03-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Is there a problem you are trying to correct?

FW Conch
03-05-2017, 04:50 PM
I seat My pills with a LEE hand press. Can't get much better feel than that. :-))

m12lrs
03-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Personally i use the wilson in line seater dies and an arbor press

Also have the Harrell combo press for my portable setup

big honkin jeep
03-05-2017, 06:14 PM
The Lee single stage doesn't cam over like a lot of presses and has a very good "feel" to it when it bottoms out. In addition to being inexpensive it's a great little unit. I've had one for a couple of decades with no problems.

chetc
03-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Is there a problem you are trying to correct? no sir

The Old Coach
03-05-2017, 10:25 PM
The Lee single stage doesn't cam over like a lot of presses and has a very good "feel" to it when it bottoms out. In addition to being inexpensive it's a great little unit. I've had one for a couple of decades with no problems.

Of course you can adjust any press so as not to "cam over".

chetc
03-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Of course you can adjust any press so as not to "cam over".

coach

you got that right.

olddav
03-06-2017, 12:22 AM
I fear my question has shown my ignorance, can someone give a brief explanation as to why a seating press is desirable?

m12lrs
03-06-2017, 06:13 AM
I fear my question has shown my ignorance, can someone give a brief explanation as to why a seating press is desirable?

No real reason unless you are an accuracy nut looking to reduce your groups by another tenth.

Just something different.

My co-ax with the forster micro seater seats bullets with very little runout.

For something different i am using the wilson in line seater with an arbor.press. You can use a mallet or your hand with them.

Without consistent neck tension it won't matter how you seat bullets. My suspicion is that is why this poster.wants a press with better feel. Where he can judge his neck tension. Arbor press is really the best for that.

huntin1
03-06-2017, 07:37 AM
I seat My pills with a LEE hand press. Can't get much better feel than that. :-))

Same here. Resize the brass with a rockchucker, prime with a hand priming tool and seat with the hand press.

yobuck
03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
A bench top drill press can do double duty as an arbor press, but lacks the portability feature.

RC20
03-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Find an old RCBS Junior