PDA

View Full Version : Shaw barrel wont shoot well?

swamphonkey
03-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Im talking about I cant get better than 3"at 100. And I break every barrel in like it cost thousands. So all thats been done. My shoot out factory barrel shot better by a 1" than this heavy barrel. And its in 308 not some hard shooter. And I shoot every day so it aint me.
The rifle is a
Savage 11 short action/Detatch mag.
On Boyds Thumbhole custom bedded -pillar , floated all that jazz. This barrel just aint shooting..

Robinhood
03-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Those barrels copper up pretty quick. Most of them are shooters but 20 rds and you gotta strip it. Have you used bore paste or looked at the chamber?

wbm
03-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Sorry to hear that. All the Shaw barrels I have had have been good. If you still have the synthetic stock try putting it back on instead of the Boyd's and see if there is any difference. Also, are you hand loading of shooting factory?

FW Conch
03-05-2017, 11:07 AM
I have had barrels made to order from from ER Shaw and have bought off the shelf ER Shaw Savage pre fits from suppliers. All have met or exceeded expectations. In My dealings with ER Shaw, I have been convinced that if a bad product slips through, they want to know about it, and I believe they will make it right.

We on this forum know from the experience of top notch shooters, that no matter how much we spend for a barrel, bad ones can get through. Most suppliers back up their work, including ER Shaw.

As has been pointed out by Moderators and others, this Forum is not a sounding board for product complaints.

Complaints should be taken up with the supplier.

If reasonable satisfaction can not be achieved, there is a Forum on this Site where the complaint and story can be posted.

swamphonkey
03-05-2017, 11:24 AM
I have had barrels made to order from from ER Shaw and have bought off the shelf ER Shaw Savage pre fits from suppliers. All have met or exceeded expectations. In My dealings with ER Shaw, I have been convinced that if a bad product slips through, they want to know about it, and I believe they will make it right.

We on this forum know from the experience of top notch shooters, that no matter how much we spend for a barrel, bad ones can get through. Most suppliers back up their work, including ER Shaw.

As has been pointed out by Moderators and others, this Forum is not a sounding board for product complaints.

If reasonable satisfaction can not be achieved, there is a Forum on this Site where the complaint and story can be posted.

Oh I understand that all of that. I just want to know why and if I need to try other things because its so ruff in the bore.Im going to try fire lap next if that doesn't work. Ill throw in in a plle a scrap and buy another. But for you to tell me not to say anything bad or tell the folks on this fourm what Im experiencing with a product , well sorry bud but thats chicken crap! And I have review there barrel for THEM. So its not like Im not letting them know.

swamphonkey
03-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Sorry to hear that. All the Shaw barrels I have had have been good. If you still have the synthetic stock try putting it back on instead of the Boyd's and see if there is any difference. Also, are you hand loading of shooting factory?

Yeah me too because I have a couple rifles with them on top and they are great. But I got them used and dont know how the owner broke them in. I did the bore paste but the copper was so bad I had to use sweets a bit. And I do reload I have tried quite a few loads best so far has been 168 nbt over H4895. A tight group of 3" lol. I think I got a lemon.

RC20
03-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Oh I understand that all of that. I just want to know why and if I need to try other things because its so ruff in the bore.Im going to try fire lap next if that doesn't work. Ill throw in in a plle a scrap and buy another. But for you to tell me not to say anything bad or tell the folks on this fourm what Im experiencing with a product , well sorry bud but thats chicken crap! And I have review there barrel for THEM. So its not like Im not letting them know.

Barrel in particular do get discussed so will leave it to moderators to make a ruling if they feel its needed, not sure where this falls in and am interested.

That said, why not call ER Shaw and tell them your problem?

No amount of lapping, zap 9, Z7 is going to make a bad barrel shoot.

Rough has nothing to do with shooting. It has a lot to do with fouling. Fire lapping is not going to work as you plate down the fouling.

You have to clean out the fouling first and that may not be the issue. Doesn't sound like it.

All mfgs throw out a lemon from time to time. More you pay the less likely, but no matter what you pay you can get a lemon.

wbm
03-05-2017, 05:37 PM
best so far has been 168 nbt over H4895

Yeah that is a good combination. I figure if it won't shoot that load or a 175 Sierra with around 41gr of IMR 4064 then you might have a lemon. Sorry bro....don't help I know but I sure do know how frustrating it is.

anzini51
03-05-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm a new member to this site so thanks for the information that we can't complain....I wasn't aware!
I don't visit this site often so without sorting through several topics in different forums,
Where is the Complaint Forum?

anzini51
03-05-2017, 06:21 PM
I found the Vendor feedback forum with the sticky, thanks.

RC20
03-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Your first effort should be to contact ER Shaw. If they offer no joy, then a complaint.

Every mfg throws out a bad barrel from time to time. Its how they do or do not respond that is most relevant.

J.Baker
03-07-2017, 12:59 AM

Just to set the record straight here, since clearly there is some confusion (for anzini51 and likely others) based on the highlighted comments in the above post regarding complaining about products....

Posts such as the first on in this thread are fine and welcome. What we frown upon and won't tolerate here are the foaming at the mouth, incoherent, irate, rambling attacks on manufacturers or vendors. Doesn't matter if it's an issue with the product itself or their service, that kind of stuff should be kept between you and the manufacturer or vendor. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or vendor you are more than welcome to post a coherent, fact-based summary of your experience with them in our Vendor Feedback (http://www.savageshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?131-Vendor-Feedback) board. This is a read-only board where only you can respond to your own thread to update it as needed as you work through the issue with the manufacturer. This lets everyone see your experience without injecting their own (biased or unbiased) two cents into it to fuel the fire.

Now if you have a question about a product, or are having problems with a product and are seeking help or feedback from others in a reasonable tone and manner (as was done here), that's perfectly fine and we both welcome and encourage it.

Hotolds442
03-07-2017, 01:11 AM
But for you to tell me not to say anything bad or tell the folks on this fourm what Im experiencing with a product , well sorry bud but thats chicken crap!
If it's just detailing issues you're having with a particular product and looking for other ideas to cure the problem that's one thing, but vendor bashing isn't allowed here. You can call it whatever you want, but it's not gonna happen here. Go back and read the forum rules. Pay particular attention to this one: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45255-Vendor-Bashing-Threads
There are many other forums on the internet that you can go to to bash a vendor, but this isn't one of them.

stomp442
03-07-2017, 09:42 AM
In my experience, the Shaw barrels have been very good and a great value for the money. That being said even a bad barrel shouldn't give 3 inch groups. What scope are you using? have you tried swapping it out with another to verify. Are the scope bases tight and the action screws tight? How does the crown look?

FW Conch
03-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Thanks to the Moderators for the enlightenment. My understanding of the issue is now more finely tuned. :-))

wbm
03-08-2017, 09:24 AM
But if any one else is having this problem check that also! It might save you a lot of powder and cleaner.

Sounds like a fine idea. Hang in there swamp man...don't let em get you down. I hear ya!

foxx
03-08-2017, 02:27 PM
^^^^Yeah, we get it. Don't worry about it.

It was a good post from the beginning and we all benefited from your experience and solution.

The rest of it was just well intended members getting carried away by themselves. It happens