PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11vt and 10fcp differences

Dantheman
03-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Hello! This is my first post on savage shooters and glad to find such a resource. I have a savage 110 in .270 that I use for hunting and it has been a great rifle. It will shoot factory 130gr Remington Coreloct in a group that fits under a dime. I have always wanted a heavy barrel .308 and decided to try a 11vt since I had such good luck with my 110. I also preferred the barrel twist of the Savage over the Rem 700 Varmint.

I have not been able to find any factory ammo that has a tight group. I was able to get one dime sized group using 150gr Sierra gamekings in a handload, but it is loaded on the light side. I started researching the rifle and discovered Savage offers different stocks, bottom metal, and bolt release locations. I am considering finding a accustock like the 10fcp uses to increase the accuracy, but I have read that the accustock uses a different recoil lug and the bolt release location. Has anyone tried doing this with their 11vt? Thanks in advance.

olddav
03-04-2017, 07:12 PM
To install a rile with a standard recoil lug into an Accustock you will need to cut the recoil lug, or install the correct lug. You could just purchase a Boyd Stock and pillar bed it or not. Either way it would be an improvement on your existing factory stock without breaking the bank.

WV1951
03-06-2017, 12:03 AM
As you are probably fully aware, each rifle is unique and may not group shelf ammo like you want. However, being a 308, you only have a gazallion possible factory loads, and I would bet that something will work. However, the hand load thing may be your fastest ticket to satisfying groups. And as you are also probably aware, there is the occasional barrel that just doesn't want to cooperate.

Dantheman
03-06-2017, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. I found one handload that it likes in a 150gr and the load is on the light side. I'd like to find one factory ammo that is worthy of hunting with. I'm looking at stock options to hopefully gain some improvement.

s3silver
03-10-2017, 12:07 AM
OP - I have a SA accustock with the bottom bolt release I'm considering selling. If interested, shoot me a PM.

hereinaz
03-10-2017, 08:33 AM
You are fortunate with your .270. Most factory guns don't do that!

A Boyd's stock has made each gun shoot better than a tupperware stock for me.

You can switch to an accustock, and it is fun to build Savages, but a Boyds laminate stock will get you pretty much where you want to be quicker and with less cost.

Or, buy a nice one like McMillan, Bell and Carlson, etc. And you will be further ahead than the cost of the tooling to swap a savage into an accustock, unless you want to do that.

Chrazy-Chris
03-10-2017, 03:23 PM
It's funny, my hunting rifle, a 110 pencil-barreled plain jane 30-06 shoots cloverleafs with my fairly stout 150SST handloads, the first handload I tried with it, but I've never had the same luck with my heavy-barrel 10T in 308. What did help was installing an HS Precision aluminum bedded stock. That's when things finally started to tighten up considerably. I used a Boyd's Tacticool for awhile but it cracked so I can't recommend those. I'm really not a fan of the plastic bottom metal and bottom bolt release on my 10T.

Dantheman
03-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys. I'm real happy with my .270. Funny thing is that I bought the .270 used with a scope real cheap. The guy told me it was a shooter, but my definition of a shooter is different from most. I planned on it being a truck gun until I cleaned the barrel and took it to the range. Now its my go-to for hunting and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. I bought the 11vt in 308 with plans of using it bench shooting and when hunting out of a stand with longer shots, but I just don't trust it at this point. It sounds like I may need to look at aftermarket stocks for it. I like the Choate Tactical stock for $199 at eabco, but I don't know anything about the quality or if their is a better place to purchase. Does anyone have experience with that particular stock?

boostless
03-13-2017, 12:48 PM
I've had a couple of them, not for long though. I had one for a 7mag that I never shot. The other was for a R700 in 223 but turns out I don't really care for the pistol grip stocks I kept in on the rifle until I sold it though. One thing I can say for sure though is that they are heavy.

Dantheman
03-13-2017, 02:57 PM
I re-read the previous post suggesting Boyd's stocks. I like their Varmint stock, but I worry that replacing the bottom metal components would drive the cost way up. I would also need to pillar bed and have never embarked on that journey.

jlsbassman
03-16-2017, 10:54 AM
I have a 308 VT that I replaced the stock with a Boyds provarmint. Used the factory bottom plastic with. It shoots 1/4-1/2 inch groups with federal gold medal match 168gr ammo.