PDA

View Full Version : How did I do?

n10sivern
03-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Stopped by a local pawn shop accross the street from my tax person/accountant the other day and saw a savage sitting there. All I saw was the DBM and asked about it and was told it was on hold for somebody. Nothing else interested me so I left. I usually stop by looking for $250 savages to rebuild. A week and a half later, that savage was still nagging at me for some reason. Thought about it again this morning after I got home from work. Lying in bed, I called the store. They said it was never picked up and was available for purchase. I got dressed and went down to the store. My wife thinks I'm crazy. As soon as I walk in they asked "were you the one that called about the savage?" I guess I had the I need a rifle look to me. He gets it for me and it is a 90% condition model 10fcp-sr, one of the newer ones with a black stock and the goofy looking 10 round savage mag. Has a 20" fluted threaded barrel. I assume it has an accustock. Pull out my phone and see they are $550 new plus shipping and transfer fees so basically $600. Looked at the scope and it is a vortex viper pst 4-16x50. I looked it up and find that it's the discontinued model and can be had for $500 new. So it would be about $1100 to buy it all new and they were asking $750. I tried to haggle and the best they would do was $750 out the door. Looked at the scope again and it hit me. This wasn't the SFP scope, it was the FFP model. Quick google and they are $800-900 new. Well that changes things. Now it's a $1400-1500 package for $750. Sold! Now it's mine. I don't even like the 308 caliber, but I'll give it a try. If I still don't like it I'll sell off the barrel, stock, bottom metal, mag, and Leopold scope rings which will result in a fairly cheap priced action and a scope. So....how did I do?

Steak n eggs
03-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Seems like you stole the rifle!... good job, but why don't you like .308 if you don't mind?

n10sivern
03-04-2017, 05:59 PM
308 has difficulty utilizing the heavier bullets with better BC. What does it do that can't be done better by a 260 or 7-08? They provide better down range ballistics with higher BC bullets than a 308. Only reason I don't have a 260 is I'm already invested in 6.5x55. I'm just weired that way and like different chamberings. Other than 243 which I have for the kids to shoot, I have 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 358 Winchester, and 300wsm. I don't shoot factory ammo and reload everything so it doesn't matter to me what the caliber is as long as I can find components to reload it. What does 308 offer that my current calibers cant do?

mbohuntr
03-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Too bad I didn't come across that, I spent all that on a new set up... mine seems to like Hornady Whitetail 150 grains.. shot bug holes..

Steak n eggs
03-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Makes perfect sense... just wanted to know your reasoning.

Rondogg
03-06-2017, 10:06 PM
308 has difficulty utilizing the heavier bullets with better BC. What does it do that can't be done better by a 260 or 7-08? They provide better down range ballistics with higher BC bullets than a 308. Only reason I don't have a 260 is I'm already invested in 6.5x55. I'm just weired that way and like different chamberings. Other than 243 which I have for the kids to shoot, I have 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 358 Winchester, and 300wsm. I don't shoot factory ammo and reload everything so it doesn't matter to me what the caliber is as long as I can find components to reload it. What does 308 offer that my current calibers cant do?

Other than the 308 has been around longer and has proven itself many more times than any of the listed rounds. I see a lot of guys shooting 180gr pills and they have no BC problems at extended ranges. No the 308 is not as fast but even for reloaders there are so many options and availability that the 308 will outlast the above rounds. The 308 barrel will last 3 times as long as those above. And people drive Fords also. LOL

Zero333
03-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Good find and I guarantee you will change your mind about the 308win cartridge after playing with this one.