PDA

View Full Version : The Swiss 7.5 x 55 Build

Pages : 1 [2]

RC20
08-05-2017, 12:00 PM
The 7.5 LW (Lothar Walther) Barrel is a raging success.

Along with the other loads that have shot well, I wound up shooting some of the loads intended for the K-31 in the 7.5 LW

At 110 yards in two different ranges the LW got two of the pretties clover leaf groups of .250 (110 yards so a bit less MOA)

Yesterday was a hot day (for us) ranges faces to the west (Sun I the eyes late in the day) and after long day of walking up and down to the 300 yard targets, I pulled the 200 yard target back in to 100 so I could see the holes.

Got the nice clover group again (have to revamp how I go about shooting the 200 and 300 yard range) - it got far more crowded than I expected, hunting season coming up.

The Shilen that was on at 300 yards was pulling 1/2 MOA groups. No complaints at all.

The LW barrel continues to impress me, when the XC barrel wears out it gets replaced with an LW.

And at this point, it pretty well tells me that a Savage with a good barrel is seriously competitive - if human factor is about .250 moa (I think Tubbs said that) it puts the guns in pretty good territory.

Swissfan
08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Sounds like it's coming together. I spent some time at the range with my 7.5 several weeks ago and think I have found a load that will give me somewhere around 1/2 MOA. 180 gr Nosler Accubond over 38.5 grains of H4895. Also had good results w/175gr SMK over 42.2 grains of IMR-4320. I have shot the Juggernauts also, but the throat on my barrel is fairly short and I have to shorten the COAL, decent accuracy, but not as good at the previous.

RC20
08-09-2017, 12:27 PM
That would be great.

The good load turned out to be Berger 185 Juggernauts (a bit trendy!) Powder was H4831. Have to look up the grains. PPU cases and CCI primers. PPU continues to amaze me with what looks to be at least RP grade brass, maybe even pushing LAPUA.

I thought the Jugs might shoot in the K-31. Didn't like them. I am going to go with 150 grains something's and see if those work.

Pretty odd as the barrel is in great shape (K-31) gun is wonderful condition and I have loosened the bands (and I have the scope on it)

What is a good feeling is I thought the shooting with the equipment should be a bit better (3/8 or so). With the LW barrel shooting that good under two very different conditions, I believe its telling me the shooting is good enough for that. Will do another round this weekend and see how it goes. I didn't think I was shooting that good last week and got the 1/4 with it nicely.

The other two guns not quite there maybe. When they do shoot 3/8 I suspect my shooting was a tad better on that round and compensating for the equipment. Not intended as ego, when I was younger I took 22 shooting class and was really good (slow much to the teachers annoyance but solid). I was really good with a pistol, worked construction and the eyes were good so I had solid base.

On the other hand the 06 was shooting 4 out of 6 groups at 7/16 with a good load at 300 yards. The other groups had a flyer each and I was not surprised. Looking right into the sun, hot day (for us) major shimmer and getting tired (right at 8 hours shooting and tromping up and down the 300 /200 and 100 yard targets. Next time we are going to bring a 4 wheeler, all that walking cuts into the shooting!

Swissfan
08-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Updated previous post with load information.

RC20
08-12-2017, 03:53 PM
The good Berger Groups with the 185 Jugs in the Savage were 47 grains of H4831 (regular). A few tenths either side is neutral so its a nice in the middle.

COAL is 3.008. PPU and CCI primers.

I did get some promising groups with the K-31 with Sierra 150 gr Match, will reload a group in the powder area they liked and see if it refines and if COAL makes any difference. Something like 8 out of two different groups shot to the same 1 1/4 area, had a couple of flyers as well.