PDA

View Full Version : Low lead time barrel

Roguesatchmo
03-02-2017, 09:52 PM
I'm looking to pick up a 7mm-08, 1-9, heavy palma and pretty much everywhere I've looked has a minimum a 6 week turn around. Anyone know of a place with less than that? Or is it an industry standard?

RC20
03-03-2017, 01:26 AM
Try ER Shaw?

Not the greatest, about Savage Grade OEM but quite a lot out there.

If you list who you have tried we can avoid repeats.

Robinhood
03-03-2017, 05:24 AM
A less common profile will cost you more time for this reason. The Savage prefit barrel providers stock a few common profiles. Stocking profiled blanks minimizes the wait time Once you venture outside of those profiles, they will have to custom order your blank. If you are after a premium barrel makers product you will have to get in line behind a rather large waiting list. So essentially you are asking for a custom barrel. You know your profile, the next decision is which barrel makers that you consider acceptable, at that point like RC20 eluded to we can narrow down the gunsmiths/barrel manufacturer that will chamber your barrel profile. To be honest, I would consider myself fortunate if I could get one of the top 5 or 6 barrel makers to provide the profile you want in the chambering you would like in 6 weeks. Even more so if I needed a custom specifications on the reamer. The discerning shooter may wait 5 or 6 months for a quality tube in the chambering and profile he desires.

gbflyer
03-03-2017, 11:31 AM
The frustrating part is when the 6 weeks turns into 6 months. I use X-Caliber quite a bit for this reason. So far, if they say 4 to 6, it's 4 to 6.

LoneWolf
03-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Check with XCaliber, Northland Shooter Supply, and Shilen...

RC20
03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Mix up

RC20
03-03-2017, 03:33 PM
NSS will cover both Criterions and Shilen for supply. That's my first choice as Jim bird dogs it so I don't have to.

My 30-06 Bull was unheard of. Took 3 or 4 months from Shilen.

I was surprised, there is a lot of interest in in HB 30-06 but no one seems to fill it (very possible a lot of talk and not Savage types and don't know how to go about it)

As noted, its a profile thing. I think I could get a heavy hunter but did not want that so enjoyed the wait playing with an XC

Iowa Fox
03-09-2017, 02:27 AM
Check with the folks mentioned above. They might accidentally have something in stock someone backed out of or cancelled or know of something someplace. I've gotten lucky a few times like that when I'm looking.

RC20
03-09-2017, 06:29 PM
And if not, its the way it goes. I just adjusted and got the XC which I wanted to do anyway and had fun with it.

TheFNG57
03-13-2017, 11:29 PM
I called and ordered a Shilen today. They said blanks are 2-4 weeks, but I didn't ask about pre-fits.

RC20
03-14-2017, 02:18 PM
I thought I was ok with my wait then got antsy to start in. I understand the annoyance.

Hopefully this is taken as a thought for future and possible .

I think Jim had a quote for 2 months with Shilen and it wound up a good 3 or 4 months.

I learned my lesson on motorcycles years back. I had two and both were down for repairs (somewhat options, leaks on both I think) and then I had some great weather and wanted to go riding and it was not going to happen.

After that I tried to be sure to have one available at all times.

With the guns I have 3 now I can shoot seriously. (not counting come collectors that are fun but not target)

My take was sooner or latter (and likely sooner the way I shoot) I am going to need a new barrel. The 06 Bull will definitely be a long lead time.

I am going to mark up my military Throat Erosion gauge for the 06 one so I can keep an eye on it and get it going gin plenty of time.

You can also do that with maximum bullet length of a given mfg/type/grain and see it moving out.

Phranque
03-14-2017, 06:48 PM
I think 6 weeks is a bit of a tough ask, though you may find something if you shop around... I picked up exactly what you're looking at (7-08, 1:9, S8 heavy bull) from Shilen, and it took right at 4 months to get back.