PDA

View Full Version : Can an older 110 action be fitted with accutrigger?

lance1586
08-21-2010, 01:55 PM
The subject title about sums it up. I just wanted to be sure that an older Savage target action, not fitted with the accu-trigger, could be retrofitted with the current generation of trigger?

placek59
08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
As far as I know, if it is a true "target action" (it would be a model 12), it should have had an accutrigger from the factory, and can probably be changed back to one. If it is not, then it can be done, but at a considerable cost (ie: machine work, fitting, etc...). You would be waaaaay better off getting a sss trigger for 100 bucks, and it is a better trigger too!!

lance1586
08-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks I don't have the rifle yet but did commit to buy it and got to looking closer at pics of it and it which was described as a "target action" but I didn't see the acutriger on it? I had just ASSUMED it had the accutrigger on it.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Magical_Merlin/?action=view&current=DSCN0222.jpg

I'm not too worried about it if it doesn't have the accutrigger if the sss trigger is comparable.

Thanks for the post. Lance

sinman
08-21-2010, 02:22 PM
thats an aftermarket trigger on it. a round back action is an accutrigger action so what you have is probably better

82boy
08-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm not too worried about it if it doesn't have the accutrigger if the sss trigger is comparable.
Thanks for the post. Lance

Lance, I hate to say this but the SSS trigger is no way comparable to an accu-trigger. The SSS trigger is so far much of a better trigger it is not even funny. Let me put it this way once you have a SSS trigger, you WILL get rid of any and all accu-triggers you have one other guns. You will never want another crapu-trigger again.

blobman
08-21-2010, 04:36 PM
whats this ssstrigger you speak of?what models will it fit?newbie here ;)

placek59
08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
sss stands for "sharp shooter supply". He is a savage gunsmith and makes excellent triggers. The competition trigger is adjustable down to about 12oz or so. He also makes an Evolution target trigger that can go down to about 4oz. Those weights are approximate and you can check it all out on his website. I have a competition trigger and it is excellent! I have it set at 14oz.

82boy
08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
SSS
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
What models does it fit? All Savage 110 type actions (10,11,12,14,16,110,111,112,114,116) from 1966 to present. The Comp trigger is adjustable to 2 lbs down to 12 oz, and even lower with a Time and true job, and a bit of work. (I have one that breaks at 8oz) The Evolution trigger is a benchrest style trigger that is adjustable to 2oz. (Mine brakes at 2.02 oz every time.)

204dogger
08-21-2010, 09:18 PM
If it is this rifle it says it has a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger set at 1lb.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2909865

Very sweet!!

King Ghidora
08-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Let me put it this way once you have a SSS trigger, you WILL get rid of any and all accu-triggers you have one other guns. You will never want another crapu-trigger again.

Would you please explain again what is so much better about the SSS trigger? I know people complain about the target AT having to be reset if you set it down to it's lowest setting but I've never once had to reset mine and it is set as low as it can go (which according to Savage is 6 oz.). If there is a truly substantial advantage to the SSS trigger I'll probably want to get one for my single shot 12 LRPV. I want it to be the best rifle it can be. But the last time I took it out I was shooting very tight groups at 300 yards with it. My groups were right around an inch and lower. How much of that could I cut down by using the SSS trigger?

82boy
08-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Would you please explain again what is so much better about the SSS trigger?

All I can say is try one and you will see, It will open your eyes.

The accu-trigger has a sloppy feel, the center blade is distracting, and they never go down to advertised weights. The SSS trigger has a tight quality feel, no distracting center blade, and will go down to the advertised weight and possibly lower. It just feels better, and works better.

But the last time I took it out I was shooting very tight groups at 300 yards with it. My groups were right around an inch and lower. How much of that could I cut down by using the SSS trigger?

It is hard to say, it is possible that it will not make any difference, but it will make it easier to make them groups. I find that when the accu-trigger guns places more my concentration on the trigger, It takes less concentration on the trigger with a better trigger, and I would rather have that concentration on the target.

To put it another way, it is like driving a race car sitting on a bucket, yes you can do it, and you might do well driving that way, but driving on a racing seat makes it more comfortable, and easier to drive. You may not notice it but because your not concentrating on the seat you may go a bit faster.

hailstone
08-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Well put 82boy!!

pdog06
08-22-2010, 05:52 PM
To put it another way, it is like driving a race car sitting on a bucket, yes you can do it, and you might do well driving that way, but driving on a racing seat makes it more comfortable, and easier to drive.

LOL... never thought of it that way Pat. But I will say you hit it right on the head..Well Put.

Where you will really tell the difference is if you shoot alot and keep switching back and forth between 2 or more guns(like 1 with an AT and 1 with an aftermarket trigger). Just had this happen to me a couple weeks ago while shooting some prarie dogs. The extreme different feel of the blade on the trigger takes some getting used to, and feels uncomfortable for a while. If you are only shooting that one gun however, you will get used to it and most likely shoot very well. The SSS(and Rifle Basix Sav-2) are just alot more comfortable to shoot IMO. I will even take a Timney or Sav-1 over the accutrigger, and actually I have one to put on in place of that accutrigger now that I think about it.

King Ghidora
08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I can see how the AT on my MkII rimfire could be improved but I have the target AT on my LRPV. If that trigger doesn't go down to the lightest weight I wouldn't want it to because when I first got it all I had to do was touch the trigger and it would go off. I set it up some because having a trigger go off as soon as you touch it wasn't a good thing. Now for some reason it won't adjust back down that low but it does go very low. It has to be well under a pound and probably it's down to half a pound or less. I know people have problems with the target AT's needing to be reset often but I've never had that problem even once.

My only other gun of any kind that has a trigger as light as my 12 LRPV is my S&W 629 that has obviously had trigger work done on it. It is right at the point where it will go off as soon as I touch it but not quite. Sometimes it does do that if I'm not being careful but usually it doesn't. This is in SA mode obviously. The thing is my target AT is only very slightly harder to push than that. I'm not sure how it was set lower when I first got it but clearly someone had done something to make it even lighter than it's supposed to go. It appeared the spring was changed somehow so that the set screw would go even more to the light pull setting. I wish I had paid more attention but I didn't expect it to be different. But I guess I don't really want it set any lower than it is now anyway. It really is super light to the point that it basically goes off almost just by thinking it's time for it to go off. It takes only a very slight movement and it fires and the pull it takes to move it that far is incredibly low.

Either I got a trigger that was just different by accident or the previous owner did some work to it that made it the way it is. I just know that it doesn't have any travel before it goes off and the trigger pull is exceptionally light. I'm guessing someone with a good knowledge of triggers did some work to it because I don't have the problems you describe. This rifle has about the lightest trigger I've ever seen even compared to aftermarket or doctored triggers.

Now the trigger on my MkII could definitely use some help. It's better than the average stock trigger by quite a bit but it's nowhere near as good as the target AT on my 12. I might try to get a better trigger for that rifle since I shoot it a lot.

82boy
08-22-2010, 07:44 PM
On a light trigger, it is only light until you get use to it.

My Savage has a SSS Evolution trigger that breaks at 2.02 OZ every time. When I pull it I can feel it move and can even feel the sear movement with it. To someone that is not use to the trigger it seams too light, but once you sit and get use to it, it you will develop a feel for it. The same goes with my Bat with a 1.5 oz trigger, I can feel it when it is about to break, and I can tell a difference between it and the 2oz trigger on my Savage. I am use to shooting them guns, and when I go to my long range gun with a SSS comp trigger that breaks at 7oz it feels like pulling a sled. When I get a few bucks it will be replacing it for an Evolution trigger.

One thing I hate most about the target accu-trigger set at low setting is that the blade pull is heavier than the trigger pull, and it is impossible to feel the transition. I can not feel the trigger do to the blade. It drives me nuts! On top of that when I do feel the trigger break I let off of the trigger and it locks up. Then I have to re-cock the dang thing. IMO the Target Accu-trigger is one of the worse invention of all times.

King Ghidora
08-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Not feeling the trigger because of the blade is pretty much the problem I had at first. I would be pulling back the blade and the gun would fire before I was ready. Luckily I had enough sense to point the gun downrange from the start because of knowing it was very light. I did dry fire it once or twice before I loaded it so I knew it was extremely light.

But I no longer have the problem with not feeling the trigger after I pull back the blade. And like I said I've never once had to reset the trigger for any reason other than testing it by trying to pull the trigger without first pulling the blade back.

I can see where it would be a problem if the blade constantly caused me to not be able to feel the trigger but again I don't have that problem now. I can't really go along with it being one of the worst inventions of all time but I only have experience with this one. I can see why they did what they did. The lawyers would be all over them if they sold a gun with a 6 oz. trigger without some sort of safety device to prevent AD's. I can also see where a safety device isn't needed on a gun that isn't going to be carried around loaded. Target guns and long range varmint guns that weight 11.5 lb.s aren't likely to be carried around loaded very often.

Still I like my target AT just fine. Maybe I just got lucky. If I get a chance to check out another one soon maybe it will change my mind. But it took me 3 weeks to find any 12 with the target action (which is what I wanted - originally I wanted an F/TR). I could have ordered one of course but I like to see a gun before I buy it. I just don't see a lot of these guns in my area. If you've seen more than one you have me beat. I can't claim any knowledge about anything I haven't seen. I just know mine works pretty well IMO.

FWIW I can't make my Smith go off (unloaded of course) when it's in SA mode and it has a lighter trigger than my LRPV. Obviously it is possible to make a safe gun with a very light trigger. I'd like to measure the pull on both of those guns to see just low light they are.

UPDATE:

I got to wondering why my trigger was different than what you described and also why it wouldn't go as low as it was when I first got it. So I started looking and noticed the spring had a kink in it and it was essentially hooked on itself. This kept it from adjusting down as low as it should go. When I fixed that the trigger did adjust lower and when I got it lower it started with the problems of having the blade block the sear if you bump it too hard. Apparently I was only getting it adjust down to about 12 oz. which was just enough to keep it from having problems and at the same time it still felt pretty light. Now I can get it adjusted down as far as it should go but when I do the blade blocks the trigger as soon as I put the bolt down. So you were right about my trigger too. But at the same time I can keep it set to about 12 oz. and not have any problems and shoot inch size groups at 300 yards. Obviously a lighter trigger would make the rifle even better for when I find a place to shoot further than 600 yards, which is the limit at the range I go to. They just recently opened up that range to all rifles so I haven't had a chance to shoot that far yet. But I have shot 400 yards several times and I have no problem hitting a 5" target about every time when the wind isn't a factor.