PDA

View Full Version : 10t vs the fcp-sr 308

mauserman028
02-26-2017, 11:25 PM
I am looking to add another savage 308
to my collection looking at the savage 10t and fcp-sr.
I like to hear some reviews?

RC20
02-27-2017, 06:10 PM
The 10T is a nice setup. I don't own one but my brother does, 6.5 CM and a tack driver.

bearcatrp
02-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Have the 10T in 308 and sold the 10T 6.5 creedmoor. Both rifles are nice. The 308 took 3 shots to zero at 100 yards and has been a tac driver since. Not threaded so if you need a threaded barrel, get the SR version. For the money, you can't go wrong. I shoot 178 ELD-X with great success. Have shot the 208 ELD-M and now doing load development with the 200 ELD-X.

tcoz
03-03-2017, 12:48 PM
I have the FCP-SR 308 with 20" barrel and it's by far the best rifle I've ever bought for the money ($550). I put the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP scope on it and regardless of what ammo I'm shooting, it's a sub MOA rifle if I do my part. So, for a total of $825 I have a tack driver that's a blast to shoot.

Bimmer
03-04-2017, 07:33 PM
I have a FCP-SR and like it a lot. I would buy another one.

Comparing features, it looks like the 10T gets 5R rifling and has a 24" barrel, and the FCP-SR has a 20" threaded barrel... Otherwise, they look identical to me. Maybe the 10T has a different/better trigger?

NicfromAlabama
03-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Not all FCP-SRs models are the same. It will depend on the specific model as to what the specs are. My 10FCP-SR (Model # 19056) has a 24" fluted and threaded 5R barrel in a HS Precision stock. Other models may have a shorter barrel, accustock, top bolt release, bottom bolt release, fluted barrel, not fluted barrel and etc. As discussed on another thread, FCP-SR is Savage's code for Synthetic stock (F), Detachable Magazine (C), Police (P) and Suppressor Ready (SR). So, any 10FCP-SR will come in some kind of synthetic stock, have a detachable box magazine and be threaded for a suppressor.

I too have been interested in the 10T model though. We all know it comes with a 24" 5R barrel and bottom bolt release accustock. From what I have read, the barrel is a pretty thick.....maybe not bull diameter though. The thick 5R barrel is probably the most attractive thing to me. I have not found any exact dimensions of the barrel posted anywhere though. I really don't care for the bottom bolt release, but perhaps I could live with it. I read the bottom bolt release model stocks do not accommodate the Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger, but should work with the SAV-1 trigger. I would most certainly replace the trigger and would have to settler for the SAV-1 if I did. (Nice trigger, but only goes to 14 oz) For those that have one, I would like to hear more about it. If the 10T-SR model has the exact same barrel, just threaded, I would probably go with that as I run suppressors. having the threaded option is a bonus.

Butcher
03-04-2017, 10:57 PM
New 10t sr is identical to the 10t plus threaded. Just picked one up for my son 3 weeks ago on sale with rebate for 524.99.

NicfromAlabama
03-05-2017, 12:16 AM
New 10t sr is identical to the 10t plus threaded. Just picked one up for my son 3 weeks ago on sale with rebate for 524.99.

Thanks for the info. I thought about dropping by Cabela's and asking to look at both the 10T and 10T-SR if they had them in stock. But, I don't travel near the Cabela's store often. Even though I do appreciate the clean look of a non-threaded barrel, I think it would be a bit silly for me not buy the threaded version. I was thinking there was a possibility Savage may have been using a smaller diameter barrel on the 10T-SR, and it is hard to tell from the photo on Cabela's website. I will be keeping an eye out for another sale. Hopefully it will be before the rebate expires. I do wish it was a top bolt release model, but I think I can live with it.

Chrazy-Chris
03-10-2017, 03:30 PM
I have the 10T and I am NOT a fan of the plastic "bottom metal", the plastic bolt release, and the mag clips in using a, you guessed it, PLASTIC clip on the mag itself. The action screw threads in against these PLASTIC parts and it just doesn't seem like a solid setup. Action screw tension is important and I can feel the plastic warping as I tighten mine. If I could do it all over again I would've gone with one of the higher end models with the side bolt release and metal parts. These are also easier to find aftermarket parts for.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm all ears if anyone wants to clue me into metal replacement parts for my 10T that will fit with my existing stock (I upgraded to an HS precision).

Yoteslayer69
03-13-2017, 11:51 AM
I have the 10T and I am NOT a fan of the plastic "bottom metal", the plastic bolt release, and the mag clips in using a, you guessed it, PLASTIC clip on the mag itself. The action screw threads in against these PLASTIC parts and it just doesn't seem like a solid setup. Action screw tension is important and I can feel the plastic warping as I tighten mine. If I could do it all over again I would've gone with one of the higher end models with the side bolt release and metal parts. These are also easier to find aftermarket parts for.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm all ears if anyone wants to clue me into metal replacement parts for my 10T that will fit with my existing stock (I upgraded to an HS precision).

Odd I just purchased a 10T and my bottom metal is well metal. There is no plastic tab on the mag. The release is in the bottom metal and the mag is steel with a plastic base.

dogmir
03-13-2017, 03:46 PM
I bought the 10T in 308 when it first came out. I practically stole it was on sale for $500 with a $50 mail rebate. The stock isn't the greatest, but other than that you can't beat it. My bottom metal also happens to be metal. I did notice one day when I was at Cabelas about a month ago and held the 6.5 version they upgraded the recoil pad on the new version too.

WilltheEngineer
04-18-2017, 01:00 PM
I have been looking at the 10T-SR 5R and FCP-SR also. I am a fan of 5R barrels. Has there been any issues with the bottom bolt release?.... Any reason the side release is better or worse?.. Also, anyone know the barrel rifling profile for the fluted FCP-SR (22441)?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Chrazy-Chris
04-18-2017, 04:14 PM
I have been looking at the 10T-SR 5R and FCP-SR also. I am a fan of 5R barrels. Has there been any issues with the bottom bolt release?.... Any reason the side release is better or worse?.. Also, anyone know the barrel rifling profile for the fluted FCP-SR (22441)?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
I'm personally not a fan. It limits your options for aftermarket stocks and the action screw rides on a piece of plastic which is part of the bottom bolt release mechanism and therefore it doesn't feel as solid or consistent. Overall it just looks feels and functions like a cheap gimmick.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WilltheEngineer
04-18-2017, 06:52 PM
I'm personally not a fan. It limits your options for aftermarket stocks and the action screw rides on a piece of plastic which is part of the bottom bolt release mechanism and therefore it doesn't feel as solid or consistent. Overall it just looks feels and functions like a cheap gimmick.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chris,
Thanks for the response. So basicly we are trading the 5R barrel on the 10T for Mag with bolt lever on the FCP-SR (no 5R barrel)?...

Anyone know if the Accurate-Mag system (bottom plate & Mag) kit can be installed on the 10T?

http://accurate-mag.com/bottom-metals/

tcoz
04-18-2017, 07:18 PM
I had never even heard of 5R until a short time ago and now it's all the rage. I have the 10FCP-SR and I love it. Sub MOA right out of the box and I've never had a problem with the Savage mags. If you learn how to insert them you won't have an issue with them dropping. I can load it with a full ten rounds but I choose to download it and all of my mags by one round.

want2ride
04-18-2017, 08:20 PM
I have the 10 T and it has a metal bottom metal and metal bolt release with a metal magazine release and uses the same metal magazine that my LRP uses.
My 10T is a year old, and was made before they came with the threading, and I have to check, but I don't think it has the 5R barrel either.
Both my LRP and my 10T are 1/2 to 3/4" groups with me pulling the trigger, and under 1/2" with my brother pulling the trigger (he is really good). It kind of makes me wonder if it was worth upgrading to the LRP, but I can't get rid of the 10T... It just shoots too good.

bearcatrp
04-19-2017, 07:43 AM
The 10T does have 5R rifling. Mine is a tac driver since the 3rd shot. Just completed a egg shoot and nailed the egg @100 yards on the 1st shot with my pet load. Been thinking of threading the barrel but think I will leave it alone. It shoots awesome.

Deadshot2
04-21-2017, 01:36 PM
I had never even heard of 5R until a short time ago and now it's all the rage.

I shot my first 5-R barrel about 9-10 years ago and now don't order any new barrel with "even numbered" lands/grooves. The odd numbers of lands always insure the opposite side of the bullet is on the flat radius of the bore, not pinched between two lands.

I now shoot two rifles with only 3-grooves and not only get more speed, but accuracy is superb. According to the barrel maker I get all my barrels from, many of their custom rifle customers are ordering only 3-groove barrels for a good number of calibers, in the case we were discussing, 6.5 Creedmoor. I have one heavy palma barrel 3-groove in 6.5 CM and another 3-groove in MTU profile, .223 cal. I am seeing speeds well over what I saw with the 5-R I got in 6.5 C/M and 6 groove my .223 came with.

Did I mention cleaning? I find these barrels (event the two 5-R factory barrels I owned) to be the easiest to clean. Wet bore, brush a couple strokes, patch out, shoot more. Only three dry patches needed at my last range cleanup. First one loaded with crud, second only a few marks, third could have been omitted but served as a check patch caus it was almost pure white.

Dantheman
04-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Can anyone confirm if the new 10t's on the shelf now have the metal bottom-metal or the new style with the plastic release on the mag? The nearest cabelas to me is a couple hours away.