PDA

View Full Version : Savage purchase advice

Pages : 1 [2]

Motorbreath
02-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Ok awesome I will check out both of those. Only issue about using cabellas is that the nearest one for me is about 3 hours away. Would they ship to an FFL?? I know gander mountain does that with their used guns.

I live in FL and closest Cabelas was in GA. They will ship to your local FFL. I had to call 2 different stores and talk to 3 different people before I found some one that knew what they were needed to do, but they will do it.

WV1951
02-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Don't be afraid of the synthetic stock if you can get the beefier one like on a 12FV. Don't know if any of the sporter barrel models, either 10 or 11(110-111) comes with the heavier stock, but it does a good job. I replaced my 12FV stock with a laminate only because I liked the look over the synthetic. It was stiff enough to not rub the barrel. Plenty of meat around the grip area.

curly84
02-28-2017, 04:26 PM
I have no complaints of my model 10 I purchased it about six or seven years ago at Walmart for $268 came with a Simmons 3×9 power eight point well what you guys call as a cheap scope I shot woodchucks at 300 yards I shot a nice 8-point buck quarter turn away from me half trot down through the woods at 75 yards took both lungs out of it chambered in a 243 went about 30 yards Federal Hydra-Shok hundred grain did the job some people might think well you bought it at Walmart it must be a cheap gun well to each his own I got a really good deal on it well I'm very pleased with it black synthetic stock nice and light at 61 years old I can go that[emoji3] [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Cannowg
02-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Well I finally got out after work yesterday and did some test driving just seeing how the actions and bolt move. How the fit and finish and what not worked. I am settled in on 1 of 3 guns and they are all about equal price. Howa 1500 with the game king scope , savage 11 trophy hunter in 308 and a buddy heard I was looking so he called with a fairly enticing offer on a browning A bolt 2 in stainless. I have got some deciding to do!

RC20
02-28-2017, 08:48 PM
For what its worth there is a Laminated wood stock that is weather imperious and looks good.

Boyd's is the best and extensive line up in aftermarket if the gun does not come with it (one of mine did, the other one I got to replace the plastic stock)

They a hunter profiles which are a tad lighter and less beef (I have one).

Fit is outstanding, I haven't had to worry about bedding the two I do have.

They have some options for fancier finishes as well.

I don't drag mine through the woods so I don't know how they hold up.

They are tougher than wood but how much unknown.

foxx
02-28-2017, 09:38 PM
For what you're talking, I would highly recommend the Trophy Hunter package,

The Nikon scope isn't all that bad, the stock will be fine with sporter weight barrel (which it is) as long as you don't use bipod. In time you might want to change out the scope, but maybe not. I would change the mounts and rings, however.

jweezy
03-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm also looking for buying advice. I had pretty much decided on the Trophy Hunter XP because I felt it was the best bang for the buck. However someone suggested the Hog Hunter so I took a look and I like the medium contour, threaded barrel and the oversized bolt handle. But I don't like the closed-box magazine and I'd have to buy a scope. I can't decide. Or should I just spend the extra money and get an 10 FCP-SR since it seems to have all the things I like from the Hog and Trophy Hunter but still without a scope.

I think I'm overthinking it and should just go with the Trophy Hunter XP since I'd like to think I'd be shooting at 500-1000 yds but let's be real, I'm just going to be shooting soda bottles in the desert and maybe an occasional coyote here and there.

Cannowg
03-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Well made my purchase. Picked up a howa 1500 with hogue over mold in 308. I'm not ruling out a savage in the future but I got an amazing deal on thins one and I really like it! Thanks everyone for the time and advice, range report to follow.

olddav
03-01-2017, 10:30 PM
deleted