PDA

View Full Version : "Why is its" for reloading

BrentWin
09-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Why is it:

Your wife takes the closed door on you reloading room as an open invitation to come in, sit down and tell you all about her day?

You always drop the last primer you have and lose it in the pile of spent primers at your feet?

No company makes a spent primer catcher that actually catches spent primers?

All of the reloading dies for boring rounds are $29.00 and dies for all of the fun rounds are $129.00?

We sweat thousandths of a inch and tenths of a grain, knowing full well that we are going to pull the 5th shot of a group and turn a .15" group into a 1.5" group?

I have partially full cans of 20 different powders and only use 3 ?

Every beginning reloader makes posts requesting the "magic" load for their round, when we all know that there is no magic round for every rifle?

All of us veteran reloaders still have to try someones "magic" load for our round, when we all know that there is no magic round for every rifle?

A wife can't look at a credit card statement and realize that all of those invoices from Midway, Midsouth, Graf's etc. are really SAVING money?

A bullet that produces "dead right there", "struck by lightning" and "dropped in their tracks" performance for one guy, may "crippling losses" for another. Are deer that variable in their resistance to bullets?

When used for hunting, brand new Lapua brass is ejected into tall grass and buries itself, never to be found again.

When used for hunting, crusty old brass on its last reloading is ejected into tall grass it lays right on top, as if it is begging for a ride home?

The powder that really turns my rifle on, is either hoarded by every other shooter in the country or is only made in Stuborg Sweeden on Thrusday afternoons that fall on the full moon.

Teenagers don't find the resizing of 200 pcs. of brass as much fun as shooting them?

I am sitting here writing this post when I have 200 pcs. of brass to resize?

Apache
09-26-2009, 05:52 PM
;D

ain't it the truth!!

pdog06
09-26-2009, 05:55 PM
:D That last primer thing ticks me off ::)

Good one, noiw get to re-sizing :)

1Shot
09-26-2009, 07:08 PM
...lol..Ya...primers & groups..follow your avatar...I save the lapua for targets... ;)

sinman
09-26-2009, 07:23 PM
only 200 pcs? hell I better send you some more, I have thousands and thousands.

Blue Avenger
09-26-2009, 07:30 PM
of the 3 containers you use, the one you pick today will only load two thirds of the brass you have to load.

the box of bullets will only load one third of your brass.

and that round where you lost the primer and used a substitute brand just hit dead center.

The old box of reloads from two years ago for a different rifle work amazing in your new one. to bad you did not write down the recipe some place that it means something now.

hershey
09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
that lapua one is sssooooooooooooooo true!!!! not to mention it was the first firing and you already turned it....

stevec
09-26-2009, 07:56 PM
sounds like a day in my life!

BrentWin
09-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Most bullets come with 101 in a box, unless you drop one and can't find it. That will be the box that only came with 100.

kelbro
09-26-2009, 11:07 PM
When I cast my plinking/practice bullets, the variation is +/- .5gr. When hunting season rolls around and I have to cast a box or two worth, they vary +/- 1.5 gr. Of course I only casted 50 at that sitting and had to cull 20.

firemachine69
09-27-2009, 01:14 AM
I only load fresh brass for my target loads. I've got about 150 (200 maybe?) rounds of Winchester, will be adding a hundred Lapua on Monday.

Nitroused383
09-27-2009, 04:48 AM
How about this one, you wasted 200 rounds of Berger VLD's trying to find the magic load and primer combination with "newer... better... powders". When its all said and done you go back to the nosler book for their most accurate powder and primer and it works better than anything else. Than you look back at what everyone else has told you they recommended those powders from the beginning. It appears the Nosler book is not only for their specific rifle but pertains to that case in general ;D

Now that you have your load you are out of bullets and primers are no where to be found in the country.

You find your primers but you pay 1000% value but now you are out of powder and everyone is backordered.

Its hunting season now and you have been working on this load all summer but you have no reloading supplies. Looks like we will be pulling out the backup gun for the 2nd year in a row.

pa_wdchuckhuntr
09-29-2009, 12:17 PM
After years of load development looking for the "magic" combination for the new barrel, you finally find it!
After you put a newer barrel on order.

You keep a couple seating dies on hand for your favorite caliber so you can save time loading different bullet weights but forget which is which.
Seat it a little, check it for length, seat it a little more, check it for length, seat it...so much for saving time.

Lets play: Guess which powder you left in the powder measurer last development session?

You flip all the primers right side up in your primer tool and still manage to seat some backwards.

Case, powder, bullet. Feels like I'm forgetting something?
Who says you can't prime a loaded round.

82boy
09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Excellent post

dfrosch
09-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Excellent post

Yep. Almost as good as Scratch McGee.

BrentWin
10-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Excellent post

Yep. Almost as good as Scratch McGee.

Thanks, but I am still looking for my "magnus opus" like Jethro did in "The Last 220 Swift Ever"