PDA

View Full Version : Bolt timing issues

Pages : 1 [2]

geargrinder
02-27-2017, 10:26 PM
Sorry RC20, but this gave me a good laugh. Clearly you don't know who memilanuk is, so let me give you a hint...

http://www.usrifleteam.com/monte-milanuk/

I was getting a pretty good laugh out of it too. Perhaps RC20 could give Steph Curry some pointers on how to shoot 3's or Free Throws while he is at it.

J.Baker
02-27-2017, 10:26 PM
Not sure how "scientific" this is, but just measured the gap between the bolt handle and bolt body using a stack of index cards, and took my measurements with the bolt cocked. With the bolt raised to just before it engages the ramp on the rear baffle I got a gap measurement of 0.046". With the bolt fully up and while pushing the bolt forward via the BAS, the gap measures 0.101". Subtracting the two gives me 0.055" of P.E. on this action that was made in 2009.

Using the same process on the January 2017 production Model 10 Stealth I have in for review I get measurements of 0.037" and 0.084" for 0.047" of P.E.

Each index card is 0.0095" thick so there's a little wiggle room in those numbers.

geargrinder
02-27-2017, 10:45 PM
geargrinder,

Thanks for the response. I did compare the length of the bolt body against another one of a similar vintage (both early TA models, one for sure from before they went to CNC machining - that's been to England, Ireland, Scotland and Canada ;) - and this one, originally purchased years ago from a friend who was getting out of long-range after building a 7 WSM F-Open rig before such beasties were 'in'). Not sure if I was measuring at the wrong point; I measured from the front of the bolt body to the bottom of the notch in back, at ~5.20x", within a few thousandths on each. On the reference/control action, the (factory) bolt handle doesn't appear to be much if any further back/forward, but there is a very noticeable difference in the contact/wear point on the rear baffle/ primary extraction cam ramp - the wear spot is almost full width, though it is fairly short (in height). On the second action - the one actually in question here - the wear point is much less noticeable on the rear baffle, and given that the (aftermarket) bolt handle is brand new and Cerakote'd... there isn't much to see.

Monte

I remembered something Fred posted about primary extraction to someone who was having similar issues.

You have a primary extraction problem. The gap between the bolt handle and baffle means nothing. The real problem is where the ramp on the bolt handle contacts the ramp on the rear baffle. Most of all the newer rifles have bolt handles that are out of spec. The ramp on the bolt handles have been machined to clean up a casting defect, leaving more clearance between the ramps, resulting in no primary extraction at all.

I also remember him saying, but I can't find the quote, that the bolt body lengths sometimes run long.

Hopefully, your problem is only a bolt swap away from a solution.

RC20
02-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Sorry RC20, but this gave me a good laugh. Clearly you don't know who memilanuk is, so let me give you a hint...

http://www.usrifleteam.com/monte-milanuk/

Agreed, its is funny sure did not who he was. Highly accomplished in a number of areas. hat off.

On the other hand, our sparky here decided to assist the draining of oil out of a gear box with 110 psi or air,

Oh, lip seals aren't intended to have THAT kind of pressure? you don't always know do you?

We do have a Fast Attack guy (another electronic type) on site and my brother was in Boomers, RO, love em both.) My dad also served WWII on Gun boats, highest rate of loses other than infantry. So all due respect, those guys are the best. Serving your country has no higher calling in my mind, shooting is just for fun. Those guys did serious stuff (and get one to talk about the missions on the Russian littoral or read about it (what little has been published) the Fast Attacks engaged in one way combat, ie they got attacked and had to take it, brave men beyond question and deserve all honor)

I still help my brother out on mechanical odds and ends though he is pretty good with that stuff.

On the other hand there are not too many people who took a Cat Wagon with 22 yards of gravel over the ice cut on the pipeline pad either.
Playing Russian Roulette on really bad roads with 3 pieces of 48 inch x 60 ft pipe riding behind your head?

Sometimes others have done things that deserve respect as well. I will not contend any of it is in the class of the Service Members, though it did take some balls to do it. I could quit any time I wanted to.

Advice was asked for and given. I was not aware I had to be a world class shooter or an electronics engineer to respond.

My bad.

And no I am neither insulted or embarrassed. A bit ironic maybe. I probably know more about the Fast Attacks and the history of submarines that about 95% of people, other than those who served.

So my apologies and I will not darken the doorstep again with my inferior thoughts (and yes I am having a bit of fun with this as well, but the hat is truly off to those who serve)