PDA

View Full Version : B17/B22 Series: New B series rim fire

Pages : 1 [2]

WV1951
04-22-2017, 09:43 AM
See how he is? No wonder these review guns never shoot worth a hoot, Fred's taking them apart and inserting gremlin's before he calls me to come pick them up.

Well, just tell him to cut it out.

J.Baker
04-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Well, just tell him to cut it out.

I'm afraid if I do that he might start charging me to do the transfer on them. LOL

J.Baker
04-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know if the barrels are replaceable? If so is it the same barrel but system as their centerfire actions?

I know no one is currently producing a barrel but if it is replaceable then there may be a chance in the future.

Barrel has a nut, but it's not the same system as the centerfires. Couldn't be as the rimfire actions are a lot smaller in diameter. It's a smooth nut with no spanner hole or anything, so a special wrench will be needed.

The other major change is that the breech of the barrel is now coned so no need for extractor cuts that require the barrel to be indexed. As such it should make for a rimfire platform where you can easily swap on a quality aftermarket barrel just like a 110 or Axis.

BlackFenix
04-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Barrel has a nut, but it's not the same system as the centerfires. Couldn't be as the rimfire actions are a lot smaller in diameter. It's a smooth nut with no spanner hole or anything, so a special wrench will be needed.

The other major change is that the breech of the barrel is now coned so no need for extractor cuts that require the barrel to be indexed. As such it should make for a rimfire platform where you can easily swap on a quality aftermarket barrel just like a 110 or Axis.

That's what I like to hear!

lavv
04-29-2017, 09:04 PM
I got my B17 FV last week, 21 inch barrel. Shot it twice... The stock rubs the barrel big time. Do I need to contact Savage? Also, I'm going to hold on talking about accuracy until after 200 rounds...

Willy
04-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Sometimes I think people make to much of this barrel rubbing thing; I have Tikka Forest that has the barrel a lot closer to one side of the stock forearm. I'll check it it's actually touching the forearm.

J.Baker
04-30-2017, 07:10 PM
I got my B17 FV last week, 21 inch barrel. Shot it twice... The stock rubs the barrel big time. Do I need to contact Savage? Also, I'm going to hold on talking about accuracy until after 200 rounds...

Well, since you don't want to say how it shoots so we might be able to discern if it's actually causing a problem or not, the best advice I can give you would be to tell you to contact Remington about it. :rolleyes:

bobc
05-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Funny you should mention that......I just got one in. It's tore apart on my counter as of right now.

Please take some pics of the internals, stock in-letting etc for us folks who cant get our hands on one, PLEASE I'm really interested in this gun but cant find much on it yet.

Rondogg
05-22-2017, 11:44 PM
Well, since you don't want to say how it shoots so we might be able to discern if it's actually causing a problem or not, the best advice I can give you would be to tell you to contact Remington about it. :rolleyes:
Was a Savage fan and had the 93R 17 HMR. Got tired of the (turd) magazine problems. Will be getting the new Ruger 17 HMR with the rotary mag, wood stock and threaded barrel. I am sure it will shoot as well and as accurate as the Savage.

lavv
05-27-2017, 07:00 PM

Ok... Update with 400 of rounds in. The performance is weird. It does not seem to like the VMAX ammo from pretty much any manufacturer, including the A17 kind. It's better with TNT kind of ammo, like Federal premium 17 hmr TNT. With that one I got 3 groups of 5 shots each under, or slightly above 1" at 100 yards. More typical around 1.3... With any vmax, 5 shots groups at 100 yards are between 1.5-1.7". As a matter of fact, my old 93r17 shoots 1.3-1.4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with any vmax. It does tend to group 4 shots pretty well, then a flyer messes up the group.

I took down the removable plastic "lid" sitting on top of the forearm and under the barrel. It's removable, does't provide much structural strength anyway, and rubs the barrel big time. I'll be testing more. Feel free to suggest anything :)

Willy
09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
lavv, any updates?

I'll make another comment here because for some reason I still cannot get on rimfire, mod, feel free to move it wherever... I noticed some people have been looking for sub-sonic ammo for the 22 wmr for quieter shots . CCI has now come out with a 22mag at 1065 ft/sec. as a sub-sonic round. IMO that is not really sub-sonic; it is so close to the speed of sound you will still get the distinctive "crack" when you shoot it. The CCI 22 LR so-called sub-sonic at 1050 ft/sec has a distinctive "crack" and is very, very close to the same noise level as a 22LR at 1240 ft/sec. I haven't been able to get my hands on the CCI 22 LR rated at 970 ft/sec. to find out how much noise it makes.

dynotime
02-03-2018, 12:18 AM
Good news after 5 month at the factory I got a call today and Savage said my B17 barrel was no good and they are sending me a new rifle. But wait. it will be another
6 weeks min. Wow