PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Here

mikeybonez28
02-21-2017, 10:23 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Mike from Northeast PA, land of the free. Came from NYC, land of the liberals and I'm glad to be here. I'm pretty decent with my hands but I don't have any precision tools (lathe/milling machine) but I like to tinker.

I recently picked up a 111 in 300 Win Mag (less than 100 rds through it according to the seller) off a trade with another forum member over at PAFOA and while I'm positive the rifle can outshoot me any day of the week, is there anything specific I can do that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to improve it's deer ability? It has a solid wood stock (also have the factory synthetic stock). There's a 4-12 Red Head scope on there and I went ahead and put a Limbsaver on there because it's a magnum and I know it can pack a punch.

I don't have any reloading equipment but I am open to the idea, not only so that I don't have to pay $1.50 or so per round but this way I can tone it down for the typical hunting situations around here (100 yards or less, deer weighing under 200lbs). I know there are several "deals" on starter kits for reloading but I don't know jack squat about the brands nor bullet selection asides from the fact that it's .308 diameter lends itself to a host of bullet weights

One thing I did notice about the rifle is that when I'm going to chamber a round the bolt didn't pick up a round the 1st time. Am I just not bringing the bolt all the way back or is it something mechanical?

Is there a direct link to the "mod" section or DIY? I know there are certain things that should be left to the pro's but there has to be a host of DIY improvements as well

drybean
02-21-2017, 10:34 PM
Welcome aboard

ttexastom
02-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Welcome, to brothers of the barrel nut

ragsflh
02-22-2017, 06:11 AM
howdy

Rick_W
02-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Welcome