PDA

View Full Version : How well does the Savage on/off brake work?

scooterf79
02-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Hey guys,
I just got a 300rum barrel from the classifieds with the on/off brake. This will be the first brake I've had. I was just curious how well they work?
Thanks!
Scooter

squirrel_slayer
02-21-2017, 05:18 PM
I have no first hand experience but I hear there pretty effective. it transfers the pain from the shoulder to the head. lol (concussion which could lead to headache)

scooterf79
02-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Lol...I figured that might be the case. The way the holes are all over I won't have to time it...[emoji106]

brownb56
02-21-2017, 05:41 PM
They work but I am not impressed. The bore on the brake is oversized when compared to other brakes. Allowing too much gas to leave straight out the muzzle instead of forcing it out the ports.

Sent from my SM-A9100 using Tapatalk

big honkin jeep
02-21-2017, 10:03 PM
I have several including a 300RUM and love them. They do make a great deal of difference in recoil (and noise) especially on long action and magnum rifles.
Just be aware if you shoot anything smaller than a full grown Godzilla with a full power .300 RUM 180gr sirocco bonded, you'll have nothing more a leather sack full of purple mush to show for it.
Again I absolutely love the Savage factory adjustable (AK) brakes and wish they would sell them threaded 5/8x24 for use on their suppressor ready rigs.

gbflyer
02-22-2017, 12:30 AM
They work but I am not impressed. The bore on the brake is oversized when compared to other brakes. Allowing too much gas to leave straight out the muzzle instead of forcing it out the ports.

My experience also.

I took one off of a .338 Win Mag barrel. Measured .375. Harrells recommends .020 over on the ones they sell.

Yes, it worked, but not as well as it could have. Be that as it may, it's a cool idea.

RustyShackle
02-22-2017, 12:46 AM
I'm a fan of the factory savage brake. In my experiences they have performed well. Maybe not as good as some high dollar custom brakes, but the on/off function is superb! if anyone has a .308 version laying around they can't stand any longer I can give it a good home!

brownb56
02-22-2017, 12:58 AM
I'm a fan of the factory savage brake. In my experiences they have performed well. Maybe not as good as some high dollar custom brakes, but the on/off function is superb! if anyone has a .308 version laying around they can't stand any longer I can give it a good home!
I might have one I'll be pulling off a 300win mag to replace with a suppresor at some point. I'll keep you in mind.

Strutnut
02-22-2017, 11:17 AM
I have it on a 300 win mag and love it. There might be better but I dont need it as this is good enough. My 15 year old son and I burned 80 rounds at the range without any issues at all. The only thing slowing us down was letting the barrel cool down and we ran out of ammo or we would have kept going. We got it dialed in at 200 and then started having a blast shooting rocks out to 500. Just ranging, checking out my Applied Ballistics ap, dialing the dope and squeezing of rounds. I love that set up although honestly I doubt I will shoot it much with the brake off. I just use hearing protection all the time.

bignorm40
02-22-2017, 04:56 PM
I have one in 270win and 7mm and they both are easy to shoot.. my son has shot the 270win with ease since he was 13yrs old

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BigDad
02-22-2017, 10:07 PM
I have one on my 111 LRH 300 WM. It helps reduce the recoil but you have to keep it clean or it will stick open or closed. After a few rounds I can't open/close it with my bare hand. I have to rap a piece of leather around the knurled end and open/close it with a vice grip. Here's a link from Savage describing how to clean it. https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214239683-How-do-I-clean-the-muzzlebrake- Also, if sighted in with the brake open, closing it changes the point of impact and group size somewhat.

scooterf79
02-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Seems that for the most part the brake works. I'm fully expecting it to be really loud.
Big honking jeep, I just saw a preview for the new Kong Kong movie, that's what I'm going after [emoji6]
Thanks for the link on the cleaning BigDad, the brake on mine is a little stiff.
Thanks again guys!
Scooter