View Full Version : Help interpreting OCW results

Pages : 1 [2]

Chamdaddy
03-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Interesting

Working with my .308 hunting rifle trying to find that less than mag length seating depth for the berger 168 hunting VLD was frustrating. Finally tried the berger jump test. Found my seating depth 0.127 off the lands. I was suprised to say the least.

Lapua brass CCI Br2 44gr varget 168 gr berger hunting VLD

Below is a pic of my final seating depth test. Each one of these is only 0.010 apart. You can plainly see the 0.030 wide accuracy node.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/rcoody1/Berger%20168gr%20hunting%20VLD_zpsr7bylmqu.jpg (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/rcoody1/media/Berger%20168gr%20hunting%20VLD_zpsr7bylmqu.jpg.htm l)

m12lrs
In what order were these targets shot. I have completed some successful OCW loads and about to start my seating depth tests. I am am interested to see if there is a predictable pattern of how they shrink and expand similar to the OCW points of impact tend to. Thanks

Wayne Powell
04-14-2017, 07:08 PM
The best way to use the data is to plot the results and look for the sweet spot where you get very low vertical/horizontal movement across two or more different charges. See attachment. Can provide more info if interested.

RC20
04-25-2017, 01:08 PM
I don't really have the confidence to experiment very much. Even though I've been handloading for about ten years, this is my first bolt gun and my first attempt at loading for accuracy.
I have a Garand, M1 carbine, 9mm carbine and a couple ARs so for obvious reasons I've been concentrating mostly on function with mid-range loads.

Also, since my range is only 100 yards I'm probably wasting a lot of time and effort but I enjoy it so much that I'll continue trying to wring out every bit of accuracy that I can.

First of all if you can get accuracy at 100 and its consistent , then its going to be good to 300, beyond that wind becomes a factor that turns it into a different beast. Not that wind can't affect you sooner but it needs to be a ste4ady one or very strong.

The only thing you need to do for experiment is to write down data. COAL of the round, powder and grains of it, primer, case, bullet, how good the shot was.

I keep target with all that on them (for good ones) and leaf through them when I am in doubt. Quick visual for good results and the data is there.

I also keep a lot of those that do turn out well or look promising (group bigger than I like but nice pattern)

I won't say there is nothing to it, but it is doable. I am not good with that so its taken me some time to figure out what works.

I use the targets with the 100 yard open squares, Sportsman's carries them, don't have the name and I am traveling (works for most targets other than those buzzy multi t colored mainly aiming point ones in my view)

Good sight picture and place to write your data beside and around the various aim points (not cluttered though)

My wife had the final fix when she gave me a targets size box that I could put them in and keep them together.

I also date the top of each one, write on which rifle I was shooting that target (or add it on to the data on the spot) and have added temperature now as well.

I don't worry about hitting a spot, I shoot for groups, prefer group to fall just off the aim point as shots on the aim point mess up the sighting point.

I know I can move it over and onto the sight point if I want.

If I am on the target anywhere I will just shoot my 5 and note that group and circle it with the data there and then move the POI closer. You don't waste bullets that way (unless its a fouling /warm up shot)